Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im new to honda's and vtec in general and my motor knowledge isent amazing but over the last 5 months iv learned ALOT.
Now please don't flame me i did search alot about this build but cant exactly gather everything im seeing some saying its a horrible build some saying its not worth the money and some say its good with a nice bump in HP .

I have a d15b7 non vtec in my 4 door civic LX , i have a chance to buy skunk2 Sohc cam gear , SOHC vtec head basically bare includes solenoid, stock cam and gear, and valve cover, no rockers for 100$
Is this a good buy ?
And would it be worth it swapping this on to my engine ? i know i will need a new ECU and a harness and seals . What kind of troubles can i run in to if i do this ? and would i need anymore then the above listed stuff.

Thanks alot

·
FF Misfit
4,881 Posts
W/ the cam gear it's not a horrible deal but I'd look for a head w/ the rockers. What are your plans for the car?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasent really looking to make the car that fast just nice and clean looking but afew hundred dollars wouldent bother me if i got vtec out of it .

·
FF Misfit
4,881 Posts
I've got the B7 in my sedan for right now as well. If you just want to give it a little more pep here's what I'd do.

I/H/E (intake, header, exhaust)
Z6 Intake Manifold (z6 = sohc vtec)
Bisi Stage 2 Cam
Springs & Retainers
Adj Cam Gear

After that, switching to the Z6 or Si trans wouldn't hurt either. If all of this isn't enough you can always either spray it or boost it. Be careful when taking advice from me though as I have a tendency to get extremely carried away on all my builds.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
lol i agree with jake, but you will need a re-tune with the Bisi Stg.2 cam. YOu could just run a D16A6 cam with a Y7/Y8 cam gear for a cheaper alternative but still nice gains. And def. do the trans swap

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well currently i have I/H/E
would the intake minifold springs and cam gears give a little more HP for cheaper ? or more HP for abit more money ?

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
the intake can be had for pretty cheapy, usually about 30-50 bucks

·
FF Misfit
4,881 Posts
Well currently i have I/H/E
would the intake minifold springs and cam gears give a little more HP for cheaper ? or more HP for abit more money ?
Of the parts listed the IM is the best value. The spings and retainers are only needed w/ a more agressive cam and the cam gear doesn't make power but mearly allows you to adjust your powerband.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Iv been looking up the parts sugjested with all of this done and possibly a mini me swap could i be looking at a possible 50 HP gain with some good tunning ? I dident really have any plans for my engine but im getting excited looking at some of the possibilitys now .

·
FF Misfit
4,881 Posts
Iv been looking up the parts sugjested with all of this done and possibly a mini me swap could i be looking at a possible 50 HP gain with some good tunning ? I dident really have any plans for my engine but im getting excited looking at some of the possibilitys now .
IDK about 50hp but there's quite a few guys who have made 140ish whp on D15B7's using the Bisi stage 2 cam w/ proper supporting mods. The overall power you're going to be able to make is ultimately contingent upon the total build and combination of parts that you use. It's not quite as simple as a cam = 12 whp + intake = 5 whp + header = 7 whp so 12 + 5 + 7 = 24 whp. Even with the right parts it's also essential to understand that any given set-up is only as good as the tune aka engine managment controlling it.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
lol i agree with jake, but you will need a re-tune with the Bisi Stg.2 cam. YOu could just run a D16A6 cam with a Y7/Y8 cam gear for a cheaper alternative but still nice gains. And def. do the trans swap
D15B7 With A6 cam and Z6 intake = D16Z6 VTEC, I proved this 8.5 years ago.

No retuning needed either.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
no, but i would like a medal :lol:

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
make it a yuengling or St. Pauli girl and you got yourself a deal :haha:

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
make it a yuengling or St. Pauli girl and you got yourself a deal :haha:
I'm tempted to drive to western PA just to sample a Yuengling.

Next time I'm east of Zanesville, OH on I-70, I'm going for it! Only 80 miles one way.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
its quite good and cheap. probably the best value for beer in my book

·
Registered
883 Posts
D15B7 With A6 cam and Z6 intake = D16Z6 VTEC, I proved this 8.5 years ago.

No retuning needed either.
how much power does this really make?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts