Honda D Series Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Do you think running a z6 dizzy w a jumper instead of this monstrosity of a z6 w y7 internals would help
And everything again was working and new and working fuses and I set tdc multiple times to make sure . One time it got set off which is why you may be asking multiple times. But is there any general application errors that come with running a z6 on a p2p non vtec
And it I’ve tested all components doing w spark for continuity but I don’t have a spark tester but I know these wires and spark plugs work. Which is why I’m certain it’s the dizzy

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,977 Posts
And it I’ve tested all components doing w spark for continuity but I don’t have a spark tester but I know these wires and spark plugs work. Which is why I’m certain it’s the dizzy
Your spark plug is a spark tester.

Stick a plug in the end of a plug wire, and touch the electrode to a ground source like the valve cover, and have someone crank the car while you watch.

If you see spark arcing across the gap, you know coil and all ignition controls can physically create a spark. If not, then you'll have to focus on ignition not working.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Your spark plug is a spark tester.

Stick a plug in the end of a plug wire, and touch the electrode to a ground source like the valve cover, and have someone crank the car while you watch.

If you see spark arcing across the gap, you know coil and all ignition controls can physically create a spark. If not, then you'll have to focus on ignition not working.
Thankyou will do soon

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Okay so if ignition still isn’t working what is the lead from the ecu to the dizzy that can be tested, and how exactly because I think it’s either a bad wire leading from the ecu or the ecu itself which I’m trying to get a replacement tester

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So no spark?
No spark but after cleaning all the grounds and checking all the old loose wiring and some soldering , she cranked, fire once or twice then just went back to cranking. I would hate to think it’s my ecu but I’m about to order one just in case.
I believe my Icm and ic are still good unless my ecu has taken a dump, in which case they’d be fried already .

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
938 Posts
Don't throw parts at it! Test before replacing!
start with a coil test, grab an incandescent test light, connect the clip to battery power, touch the probe to coil negative and crank, does it flash? Stay on, not light up at all? If it flashes but still no spark you have a bad coil, if it stays on wiring isn't right or you have a bad icm, if nothing than you need to check TDC, cam and crank sensors.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So I’ve gotten some intermittent sparking. That was only after tryin to get my battery charged, in which I learned my new battery went bad and when I put the new one It started to try cranking and firing over then after few seconds it went back to just cranking no sparking

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'm starting to lean towards a badly gapped sensor in the distributor, but before you go and replace it pull it off and test it, grab feeler gauges to measure the gap and get everything right, get to know a dvom and verify each sensor has its appropriate resistance spike when the trigger passes. Test for spark after it stops trying to start, has it gone away?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I'm starting to lean towards a badly gapped sensor in the distributor, but before you go and replace it pull it off and test it, grab feeler gauges to measure the gap and get everything right, get to know a dvom and verify each sensor has its appropriate resistance spike when the trigger passes. Test for spark after it stops trying to start, has it gone away?
I don’t have any means of testing these sensors but I’m pretty sure that would make sense. I was wondering if it wasn’t getting cam positioning due to gutting the z6 for y7 internals
Could I just use a y8 dizzy?

·
Registered
938 Posts
A cheap dvom at harbor freight is what 12 bucks? A set of feeler gauges about 7? Much cheaper than a 200 distributor. They y8 dist dosent bolt up right to the z6 head, one bolt won't line up, and the others will need clearancing to get base ignition timing set(I think).

21 - 31 of 31 Posts