Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy y’all so I’m building a y7 block with a z6 head. I’m trying to keep it obd2. I’m currently repinning the obd1 dizzy for the z6 head to match up to the obd2. I almost had it start up last night. But sadly ended in crank but no start. Definitely spark. If anyone has done this and was able to keep obd2 please let me know
I’m trying to use what I have for my daily. Speaking of which I only did this out of the y7 head sac’d itself and my buddy offered me the z6 vtec head so:
- it’s still running “non-vtec”(stock 99-2000 y7 ecu)
-I may have put oem sized and spec springs retainers and locked in the vtec rockers w the vtec lockers

again she’s cranking but won’t start. Almost did. Do the coil packs go bad on these dizzy? And is there anything I’m missing other than repinning the z6 dizzy to match obd2 ?

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
2,236 Posts
what are you re-pinning on the dizzy ,it would only need one wire changed,,the power wire ..

unlock vtec or swap in the y7 cam and obd2 cam gear

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well some of the wire diagram from obd1 to obd2 looked swapped. But I’ll put them back. Why do I need to use the y7 rocker n cam assembly?

The obd1 dizzy is wired running the power thru the 8th pin.
Got the y7 cam and rocker assembly back in the z6
Head
So …
I’m kind of clueless. Am I missing something here?
Like she cranks like all hell but just isn’t starting

what are you re-pinning on the dizzy ,it would only need one wire changed,,the power wire ..

unlock vtec or swap in the y7 cam and obd2 cam gear

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
938 Posts
Not the rocker assembly, just unlock vtec, or switch the cam, if you use the y7 cam use the y7 gear, if you use the z6 cam use the z6 gear, the y gear is a spoked unit, the z is a stamped design. Or get a y8 vtec ecu for your year,, wire in vtec and keep the z6 cam but unlock vtec, set base timing to 16°advanced, and use y8 injectors.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,463 Posts
y7 ecu with z6 injectors? lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has y7 ecu, y7 intake , y7 harness, y7 block, etc. the only things that are currently z6 are the dizzy and head (and I’ve swapped the internals for y7 cam and stuff). Literally basically a stock y7. Shouldn’t repinning the z6 dizzy work on the obd2 layout ? And i don’t know how to check for valve lash. I would think with y7 internals at tdc things would be the same basically. I don’t want vtec. I just want it to start up

It has y7 ecu, y7 intake , y7 harness, y7 block, etc. the only things that are currently z6 are the dizzy and head (and I’ve swapped the internals for y7 cam and stuff). Literally basically a stock y7. Shouldn’t repinning the z6 dizzy work on the obd2 layout ? And i don’t know how to check for valve lash. I would think with y7 internals at tdc things would be the same basically. I don’t want vtec. I just want it to start up
I’m gonna go and make sure everything is set to tdc and check for valve lash but idk she should start

Any help welcomed

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
2,236 Posts
check compression

and set valve lash .. piston at tdc cam on base circle insert feeler gauge between valve tip and rocker .
adjust as needed ,,slight resistance to pull out feeler

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Wait.. you have a Z6 head with a Y7 camshaft?

the Y7 head is close to a Z6 head as it is. Not much was gained, especially since Y7 heads are fairly common to find.

Save all the problems, find a $40 head from a junkyard, and call it a day. Be done with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heads aren’t that cheap here but okay

Back to z6 internals and I have timed it and am using the y7 cam gear, gonna but my z6 dizzy and plug in my y7 guts. Someone already took the time to shave or indent one of my z6 shafts so It’ll fit if I put it in the z6 base

·
Registered
938 Posts
Have you verified injector pulse and spray? Or tried starting fluid or brake cleaner to verify the issue isn't lack of fuel?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,463 Posts
how are they not cheap in texas? lkq heads are like 75$

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Heads aren’t that cheap here but okay

Back to z6 internals and I have timed it and am using the y7 cam gear, gonna but my z6 dizzy and plug in my y7 guts. Someone already took the time to shave or indent one of my z6 shafts so It’ll fit if I put it in the z6 base
When I lived in Texas, it was Budget wrench-a-part

They often had 2 for 1 or "as much as you could carrry" sales

I got 7 cylinder heads for $50. All you had to do was be able to carry them out by hand with no equipment. They didnt say anything about grabbing a car hood, folding it up, and strapping it to your back!

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,978 Posts
Usually if you bring your core in hand, Pull A Part will sell you a head for like $40 bucks lol, $125 for a short block, $225 for a whole engine (long block) without accessories

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea I’m not saying they are expensive I just am trying to get my daily running w the parts I have

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It’s getting gas. It has a fresh tank of supreme and the pump and filter were fine before
Firing order is correct, new plugs wires and the distributor out of the y7 was working with shaft play so I put a new main shaft and threw it all in the z6 casing, so z6 head ,z6 dizzy w y7 internals
Now from what I under stand I’m close enough in time that it should start if even shitty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It’s getting gas. It has a fresh tank of supreme and the pump and filter were fine before
Firing order is correct, new plugs wires and the distributor out of the y7 was working with shaft play so I put a new main shaft and threw it all in the z6 casing, so z6 head ,z6 dizzy w y7 internals
Now from what I under stand I’m close enough in time that it should start if even shitty.
And I’ve tried starter fluid so no spark is definitely my guess

·
Registered
938 Posts
. But sadly ended in crank but no start. Definitely spark.
Thought that meant you definitely had spark, start with a coil test, grab an incandescent test light, connect the clip to battery power, touch the probe to coil negative and crank, does it flash? Stay on, not light up at all? If it flashes but still no spark you have a bad coil, if it stays on wiring isn't right or you have a bad icm, if nothing than you need to check TDC, cam and crank sensors.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thought that meant you definitely had spark, start with a coil test, grab an incandescent test light, connect the clip to battery power, touch the probe to coil negative and crank, does it flash? Stay on, not light up at all? If it flashes but still no spark you have a bad coil, if it stays on wiring isn't right or you have a bad icm, if nothing than you need to check TDC, cam and crank sensors.
Do you think running a z6 dizzy w a jumper instead of this monstrosity of a z6 w y7 internals would help
And everything again was working and new and working fuses and I set tdc multiple times to make sure . One time it got set off which is why you may be asking multiple times. But is there any general application errors that come with running a z6 on a p2e non vtec

1 - 20 of 31 Posts