Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive been reading up on mini batterys and im really interested in the shuriken on amazon. then i plan on making my own bracket and moving it into the fender by the trans. my question is will it start in cold weather? i live in wisconsin and the car is my daily year round for college so i need this to be dependable. i know there are a few guys using it so any input?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Battery and Block warmer possible for you to use? Like can you park somewhere you can get a extension cord to? If so get them and you wont have cold start problems.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Stick with a stock sized batteryfor Wisconsin. Seriously.
Agreed.

Those small batteries don't typically work well in daily driver applications let alone in one where you are going to need higher cranking amps when it is bitter cold.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
if this is a civic then the stock batteries are small enough to fit in the front behind the fender and bumper, i wouldnt want to run all that extra wire and on top of that lose a little space in my trunk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was thinking about making a custom fender relocate. i need to do a mock up to see if it will work and if so i will do that

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've been running an Odyssey PC680 drycell battery on my Civic for about 6 years now, daily driven, no problems with cold starts. It's roughly 1/2 the size of the stock battery. I live in SLC, UT - winters here get pretty damn cold, but probably not as cold as Wisconsin.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Heck, I'm cheap. I bought a 220cca AGM motorcycle battery at work and it worked ok except on the coldest mornings here (just below freezing and just into the 20's) but would make the starter drag. After a year, I switched to a slightly larger 310cca AGM battery and haven't had any issues in over 2 years. Now, it'll get below freezing here but very rarely into the low 20's and teens. Most battery tenders have the attachment you can leave permanently installed and just plug into it at night, like mine had...that I lost...

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
The battery from advance auto parts "extreme powersports" are apparently made by deka. Deka is the same company who makes those crazy expensive Braile batteries.

Anyway I haven't looked into the one you're looking at, but for daily use these small batteries are good. And if you want to be sure just try not to take extremely short trips.

I am running a ETX12 battery as a daily with a 180CCA and 10Ah capacity.

The difference here is that I live in FL where "winters" are usually 50s, and one day of the the year it will drop mid 30s lol. Heat actually hurts the battery, the cold just "shows" it a lot more FYI.

However I was able to drain the battery in maybe 4-6hrs by leaving my parking lights on one day (this is where the Ah comes into play). So the biggest thing to avoid is having the car on with the engine off.

I would say maybe a good 2 weeks or more would be too long for the battery to sit (with parasitic drain) before you can't start the car.

My battery was pretty cheap ($80 with a 1 year warranty) and is light at ~10lbs so mounting it was really easy:

The full post here:http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase/152775-function-form-eg8-build-4.html#post2563470

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Deka supposedly makes the Braile batteries eh?

No wonder my one experience with a Braile was rather unsatisfactory.

How does heat hurt the battery, other than extreme cases? Many chemical reactions, which is what a battery is, tend to favor heat.

Cold ambient temps produce several factors that require higher capacity for reliable cranking.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
Just a few seconds on the Google:Car Batteries Get Beat by the Heat

So heat "hurts" the batteries more, but the colder climates are more demanding in terms of required power.

The latter is already visible from the difference in CA to CCA.

To keep it short, have you ever had an old phone or laptop where the battery charges very fast? The battery gets crazy hot.

I had a phone that would die and charge in less than 5 minutes. I could only read one text and send one before it died again.

I also have a laptop that I used to be very "picky"with, using alaptop stand and a program to monitor temps and battery capacity. I started getting careless and stopped using my stand/leave the laptop plugged in for hours after fully charged getting the battery hot. I paid extra for the larger capacity battery and that carelessness has reduced the "full capacity" level to a regular battery.

This got very off topic, but the point is the battery physically functions more pleasant in hotter climates, but it is loads more demanding in the winter for sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts