Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried a search, nothing. anyways, i thought it would be the appropriate time to change my trans fluid but when i drained it out, it was really milky, cream looking (kinda like a blown headgasket look). anyone know what this might be caused from? should i be concerned?

TIA,
Bryan

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
manual or auto trans?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
tranny went swimming in the mighty Mississippi????

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry its an 5 spd Si Trans, and it hasnt seen any water since ive had it so im not sure. Just wondering if it had anything to do with the longitivity (sp?) of the tranny or if its just ok if i put new fluid in and go about my way.

Thanks

·
Registered
451 Posts
You should get it flushed out professionally before continuing. I'd be pretty worried about this if I saw it.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Water condensates into the case over time, just builds up if the fluid isn't changed in like, forever. It has an open breather, after all.

If it was me, since I'm a cheapskate and don't like tearing into the tranny, I'd hunt down four quarts of 10w30, SG grade if I could but that's rare, plus two quarts of the fluid I'm leaving in it (Honda MTF for me) and:
-drain the fluid and fill back up with 2 qt 10w30
-drive 5 to 10 miles
-drain the fluid and fill back up with 2 qt 10w30
-drive 50 miles
-drain the fluid and fill back up with 2 qt Honda MTF
-drive about 1500 miles
-buy more MTF, drain fluid, refill again like before
-change again in 10-15k miles from then on

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Hmm I don't remember, does the 4th gen tranny still take just under 2qt like the 5th/6th gen models?

Anyways look it up in your owner's manual to be sure. My '96 calls for 1.9qt but since going through an ISB I've kept a whole two quarts in there since.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Check and make sure the vent didnt snap off the trans, a friend of my had the same issue and realized everytime he washed his engine bay it was filling his trans with water.

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check and make sure the vent didnt snap off the trans, a friend of my had the same issue and realized everytime he washed his engine bay it was filling his trans with water.
where is this located? like i mentioned above, ive never driven it in rain or anything and havent had it in long enough to wash the motor, but ill look into that, thanks. :)

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea its almost that same spot on mine. ill try the new fluid change and go from there. thanks again

·
Registered
600 Posts
Green Hornet I can't help but notice that your car looks like it bathed in salt water? (rusty hardware, dirt/mud in the low places, etc)You get a deal on a Louisianna Floater?
There's alot of them out there my first suspect if I started finding water in things would be that the car was a floater. I got an engine/trans from Japan that had the same thing and my supplier said it was a Typhoon damaged car that it came from. It was fine I flushed it in the solvent tank and changed the fluid out a couple times like above with motor oil then MTF.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Nah, I lived on a dirt road for years. Every week they spray down the dirt with salt water to keep the dust down, and that makes for a very rusty and dirty car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts