Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
In honesty im just stoked to have a honda driving live in babysitter. Its been 6 years since "going out" or even going shopping alone has been a thing for us. This will also enable so much more car work. Jessie works evenings and I watch the kids so car project time during the week is severely limited...and shed prefer we do "family" stuff not car stuff during the weekend. Im still gonna be gone half the time taking care of my parents but this is a huge upgrade.

Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Pulled the valve cover. 2 seconds to find the problem....at least im pretty sure. First rocker next to the location the noise was most pronounced w stethoscope.

The O'Reilly and Autozone dont have a rocker shaft spring in their computers and both junkyards within 50 miles are closed because memorial day. Just my luck.

Better luck is the roommate/babysitter. Shes not that good lookin but dayum does she have a nice little backside so the probability this will get ugly just went up. Just gotta get jessica to be in line with "he deserves it" 馃槅

Back to business, what caused this?

I cant figure out for the life of me how that spring thing would get THAT deformed through regular use. Im not hard on cars. I dont generally break stuff even when I press on things, because years of driving cool stuff on its last legs has learned me to press GENTLY. Its not like i revved this thing to the moon, no point with a stock y7 cam anyway but yeah. How might this have gotten so deformed?

Reactions: drtalon123

Registered
Time to pop the valvetrain out and have a good look.

That spring might have been installed like this the whole time, it doesnt have enough room to pop that way.

Registered
93 Civic HB SI
When ive reinstalled rocker assemblies, ive had those springs roll up instead of cup the spark plug tube like normal.

Usually catch them and can push them back with my finger before torquing things down, but maybe there is the possibility the spring rolled up, you didnt notice it and put everything back together, then a rocker arm snagged it, and bent it while shoving it back in place, making it appear it was put in normally but got bent at the same time.

Maybe?

Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
In honesty i never checked before i installed the motor. It could have been like this for a long time but it just didnt make noise.

I gotta head to the west side for a couple weeks, ill be grabbing parts at pick and pull, grabbing the jy cam and talking to delta about a 260 regrind since im gonna have it apart. I know NOBODY runs the 260 but im just gonna neglect to claim a cam and it should be making good power at 3200-3600 where Im at on the highway crossing the pass. The calculator says ill have to turn over 3500 to hit 70 but my preferred 3000 rpm cruise will be just under 61mph which is fine by me.

Driving around town on 185/60r13s it is crazy following someone going 25-30 and seeing 40+ on the speedo. Even in my buddys car this tranny aways was more off than was logical, now its as bad as my 72 when i went from 2.73 to 3.42 gears. Havent had it on the freeway yet lol and thats probably a good thing given the issue.

Reactions: drtalon123

Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
Always better to build it for what you use it for, rather than aim at a big number imo, makes a more fun to drive car when you put the power where you normally run it.

Registered
The transmission has absolutely nothing to do with speedo accuracy. Tire size and actual speedometer is where the accuracy lies.

Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Word? I always thought it had an incorrect sender but i swapped the one from my wifes car (ex tranny, mine is si) and it was still wrong so that makes sense. The speedo stays good even if theres a final drive installed? Troy always managed better times than he should have (stock y7 in ek hatch, 16.071) before his h22 swap, the boys thought hed be closer to 16.4 so there was some conjecture. It was pretty clear the car had been street raced before he got it and the previous owner said he had been running a vtec motor.

Is there a way to get the gauge to read closer to correct with the tiny tire?

Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
If they swapped final drive and didn't use the correct speedo gear it can be off. Ex/Si ran the same 4.25 final drive though. You should be able to correct speedo in your tuning software, just need to calculate rotations per mile based on tire diameter and plug it in.

Registered
If I pop in a custom 6:1 final drive into a d16z6 casing, the speedo is still going to be as accurate as dropping in a custom 1:1 final drive

Again, in this application, Tire size and the actual speedometer in the gauge cluster are what is going to effect accuracy. There is a reason I made that statement.

Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I think im gonna be transitioning from crome to hts. I dunno if the tunerview ectune plugin will work with it but if not tunerview was kinda just a novelty anyway. I didnt ask for a bt module it was just what was installed in the development ecu i bought off the tuner. Honestly life is gonna be simpler if i uninstall it anyway because i havent even tried to get my hulog to work with the bt yet and i dont think getting it to work with a usb bt dongle is gonna happen. Ive been thinking itd be better off in the white car running a home brewed cheap tablet based digital dash anyway. On that note the amazon sourced pcm controller for an infinitely adjustable heater blower mod was a win!

So now her car has a digital display of heater speed in the blanking plate, hidden bluetooth stereo, koni suspension bits and soon a digital dash and new high end tint. Its coming along. Maybe "soon" on the digital dash is a bit optimistic....

Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
So got a junkyard y7 cam, pulled 4 and took the best of the bunch. Got my parts and the cam is at delta, jon was sad I wanted the 260 and not a 272 because he had one in stock. Didnt know he sold his scca crx but i was shocked at what a honda guy he really is.

Great local business im glad calls tacoma home.

Ill post pics of the repair and then start another thread for the 260 cam.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts