Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
91si
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found some milspec style plugs on a hot rod website largest they have it 37 pin. It uses 14-16 gauge wire I was wondering Is this wire to large or will this work to build a newharness from. Any help on this is a appreciated. If anyone wants to check the plug out the web site is keepitcleanwiring.com
Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
91si
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have talked to them the plug excepts 14 to 16 guage wire I'm just wonder if 16 guage would be to big to the honda sensore pins and ecu plug and also if it would affect the signal output from the sensors

·
Registered
406 Posts
It's overkill, but shouldn't have any issue. You need to worry about the crimps/solders if you're using a thick gauge.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
It's overkill, but shouldn't have any issue. You need to worry about the crimps/solders if you're using a thick gauge.
This^^ plus it makes the harness thicker.

·
Registered
91si
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya I'm kinda worried about them fitting the honda sensore pins and ecu plugs. I'm ordering all new sensor pins ecu pins and ecu plugs. I just don't wanna order the fire wall plug then find out when I put it together that's the wire size is to big for the pins and plugs

·
Registered
91si
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sucks I'm gonna have to find a diffrent plug then I was so pumped. Cause its 84 buck and comes with the braided wire sleeve. I would assume the plug works good cause its used lot on hot rods and shit but gusse the wires to big. I wonder if I could get away with using 18 gauge in the firewall plug. I read about people using 18 guage for their harnesses

·
Registered
91 Civic
1,183 Posts
EFs use 18/16/14 gauge standerd for the stockengine side harness, but i believe everything newer uses all 20 gauge with the expection of ign coil power(16/14) and BLK/YEL which is 18 gauge. so by that logic 18 would be good but just extra bluk and weigh, but doesnt larger wire recive less interference for electromagnetic pulses?

·
Registered
91si
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I finally got on the computer at home to look at the instructions for the plug. Couldn't oopen pdf file on my phone. It turns out that all the pins and sockets for the plug are the solder type. So I'm thinking that I should be able to get away with using 18 guage in the fire wall plug. 18 guage should work for the honda conectors? I hope so cause this plug is a good price and should be good for the engine bay since that's what its made for

·
Registered
91si
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gonna order it tonight and see what happens, I also sourced some stock conector pns kinda pricey but I no ill for sure get the right ones the first time. I hope lol chase bays sell them there not advetised in the site but if u give them a email they'll gladly help out. But 50cents a pin adds up fast. Should work out good I hope

·
Registered
91si
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The part number for the 37 pin plug is KICTPGC the site is keepitcleanwiring.com. The biggest size they have is 37 pin but they have smaller ones like 9 pin with 2 larger pins in it soo u could run the big dizzy wire threw it. The part # I posted is then one that comes with the braided sleeving. I didn't get any parts numbers from chase bays I just emailed them aa list of the sensors I will be using and they said they'd send the corisponding ones.

·
Registered
91si
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ordered the pins cost 44 bucks for all the pins in need 88 in total but they have a flat shipping rate of 45 buck which kinda suck. Also ordered the plug and 500 ft of wire 89$ for the plug and 35 for the wire and 15$ shipping.I'll let you guys no how it goes when I get ecru thing and start trying this.any one no what kind of crimpers i should use on the Honda pins?

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Did you get both halfs of the plug plus the back shell and heat shrink boot? Can you post pics of the plug?

·
Registered
91si
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's nit a true milspec plug that's why the thread I'd called milspecish harness there made for engine Bays bay so it'll do

·
Registered
91si
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The description for the plug is wrong I emailed then about it and it uses 14 to 16 but the pins are the solder type so I should be able to get away with 18 gauge. I'll have to check put the local electronics sour to see what they have for crimpers

1 - 20 of 83 Posts