Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
paint film is that thick it can clog something? lol )
did I just saw in a video that with some air blown thru intercooler painted one failed? another lol
passive heat dissipation haz nothing to do with ic actual purpose )

·
Registered
361 Posts
paint film is that thick it can clog something? lol )
did I just saw in a video that with some air blown thru intercooler painted one failed? another lol
passive heat dissipation haz nothing to do with ic actual purpose )
Maybe I'm missing something here... If the purpose of an intercooler is not passive heat dissipation, what is its purpose?

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here... If the purpose of an intercooler is not passive heat dissipation, what is its purpose?
forced heat dissipation from the car moving and forcing air over/through it

·
Registered
361 Posts
forced heat dissipation from the car moving and forcing air over/through it
Oh is that what he means? An intercooler still has passive heat dissipation qualities though. In the video there is a fan blowing onto the intercooler so they're not testing a intercoolers efficiency as a heat sink. That's what confused me about his statement.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Oh is that what he means? An intercooler still has passive heat dissipation qualities though. In the video there is a fan blowing onto the intercooler so they're not testing a intercoolers efficiency as a heat sink. That's what confused me about his statement.
Yes, but the passive dissipation is not nearly as important, unless you do all your driving at 0MPH.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Very sick.

So only gains are seen from radiation dissipation. Not actually working conditions.....

Hrmm..

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
I wouldn't paint it.
The paint keeps in the heat. It does reflect heat better but at the same time it keeps it in so imo it's not really worth it.
i black my intercooler out my first go around but after some months it started to chip and look nasty. So this go around I strip the paint off and will leave it like that.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I wouldn't paint it.
The paint keeps in the heat. It does reflect heat better but at the same time it keeps it in so imo it's not really worth it.
i black my intercooler out my first go around but after some months it started to chip and look nasty. So this go around I strip the paint off and will leave it like that.
What the color black does is absorb the heat better, since black absorbs all light. It's the opposite of what you are saying, the color you see is the light being reflected. White is all light being reflected, black is no light be reflected. So in direct sun or exposure to radiation black will get hotter. The paint itself won't act as an insulator unless it is very thick and affects air flow.

What I see is, an intercooler on a table and not installed. Of course it will make a difference at room temperature. If you notice once the fan is on, the difference is small. Even when not moving you have plenty of heat from the radiator and engine bay on the back of the intercooler. So the conditions in that test are not actual conditions you will see. In theory it works, but in the actual real-world conditions you have to factor in other conditions into the theory. If there was a huge advantage, you would see every manufacturer selling black intercoolers.

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
Intercoolers are NOT supposed to just be heat sinks, like most cheap eBay units. They are supposed to cool by using physics, like, the stuff that you should have learned in high school but had no idea how )(*#(*#$ amazing it actually was.

Most cheap air/air intercoolers are just heat sinks, though. It doesn't matter what color they are. I always black out anything that is going to show in the grill. It hasn't effected my radiator for years.

What color are most real (non-aluminum/plastic/junk) radiators? Black. Depending on the chemical composition of the coating, black can radiate heat as well as absorb it. A polished aluminum surface will radiate less heat than a painted black surface, especally a rougher surface with more surface area.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I painted mine matte black with Eastwoods radiator black paint. For me it was because I wanted my car to keep a sleeper type look to it. Allegedly the Eastwood stuff has some additives to help dissipate heat. If not, that was one fu**ing expensive can of spray paint.

One thing to keep in mind too, is that if you car is a daily driver and seeing the elements, the intercooler will corrode, just like aluminum wheels do. And when that happens, if I'm not mistaken, the ability of the intercooler to cool will be lower during all conditions. Paint should help prevent this corrosion.

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
The vid obviously doesn't give real-world results. Now, if you had a car on the dyno with a new shiny I/C and tuned it; then ran that same tune with the same I/C painted lightly in black. I wonder what the results would be then. My guess is nil.

I lightly painted my Precision 350 I/C black just so it'd not stick out against the flat black paint everywhere else. Still netted 400whp; definitely an underrated I/C!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I only painted a light coat on the front of mine

I would rather paint it black so know one knows im boosted

The alum intercooler is a dead give a way.

After watching HAI vs CAI and painted vs non painted intercoolers I don't think the performance gain or temp difference is worth the attention a non painted intercooler draws.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts