Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone.

I may be getting my hands on another weekend/fun vehicle through a friend of mine. He's willing to part with his 2001 BMW 330CI for a very good price. It has low kms and only needs a little work - nothing I can't handle. I've always loved the E46 and this is one step down from one of my favourites of all time - the E46 M3.

With that being said, I'm seriously considering taking my 1993 del Sol off the road and making her a track-only vehicle. It's been pretty much built for track only duty and only really leaves the garage to go to the track. If I take it off the road, I won't be required to adhere to any of the requirements necessary to make the vehicle "street-legal".

I've taken the 330CI for a rip and I can confidently and happily say it doesn't compare in the "fun-factor" to my del Sol. Therefore, I'll be sticking with it for the weekend track days.

What things can I consider doing to help with the performance of the car? Here's what I was thinking so far:
- strip the interior
- cat delete (test pipe)
- breather instead of vent tube
- R-compound tires
- aero

I don't want to run a straight pipe for the exhaust because I'll want to kick my own ass. I'll at least be using resonators.

What else!?!? :)

For reference, it has a full suspension build, "big brake" upgrade and NA built d16z6 making 156whp (Mustang Dyno). I can be more specific if requested.

THANKS!

Reactions: Mr.Fodo

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More ideas:
- remove AC
- remove side and rear windows and mechanisms

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
How crazy do you want to get? I've seen people cut out the interior door skin and take a hole saw to the door jambs (leaving just enough material to hold the latch mechanism) to reduce weight. Remove headlights and replace with fiberglass covers ... maybe a ram air set up in one? Cut out some of the bracing webbing inside the trunk and on the underside of the hood, cut out the spare tire hole and cover it. All depends on how far you want to go.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How crazy do you want to get? I've seen people cut out the interior door skin and take a hole saw to the door jambs (leaving just enough material to hold the latch mechanism) to reduce weight. Remove headlights and replace with fiberglass covers ... maybe a ram air set up in one? Cut out some of the bracing webbing inside the trunk and on the underside of the hood, cut out the spare tire hole and cover it. All depends on how far you want to go.
Thanks for the reply!

Not sure if I'm ready to go to that extent. Yet... but all great suggestions. I'd like to keep my options open. There may come a time when I choose to put it back in the road. Maybe not.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
I guess if that's the case. Carbon fiber/fiber glass body panels could go a long way towards reducing the weight, and are completely reversible should you choose to put the car back on the road. Light weight battery.

I believe you can find lighter F/R LCAs as well if you haven't already gotten some after market ones.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
They are lighter than the stock one and you shouldn't be running a bunch of things if you are gutting it anyway. Keep it charged like you would any other battery you don't plan on using weekly.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look into caging a Slo first....it is not fun.

Del Sol rollcage advise - Honda-Tech
Yup. Since our last exchange regarding caging a sol I've done a little research. I essentially lose the rear window, as you had pointed out.

I'm looking into a roll bar at minimum. I've been in touch with a fabricator and I'm waiting to hear back from him. I picked up a Tanaka 4-point harness and I'd prefer it was tethered to some form of bracing or cage than the frame.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are lighter than the stock one and you shouldn't be running a bunch of things if you are gutting it anyway. Keep it charged like you would any other battery you don't plan on using weekly.
Good suggestion and good to know.

·
Registered
Honda Del Sol Si
89 Posts
Also, I'm not sure if you have a subframe brace, but I've been told they are pretty much a necessity for our cars for heavy track use, due to subframe tear out. Not sure how true it is, but you may want to look into it

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
there are 20aH batteries all over ebay for under 60 bucks shipped. 2 extra aH will be noticed on such a small battery. could mean as much as an extra 30-50 cranking amps

some even cheaper per battery if bought in pairs or triples.

switching to a 16volt AGM battery that is large enough to keep voltage over 13 or 14 over the course of 30-60 minutes of operation and removing all accesories from the engine will add more power and allow less wiring.

Evans Tuning discussed some of the pros and cons of high volt battery versus traditional 12volt and alternator setup on their youtube channel. I forget the video date and title at the moment. the video was not specifically about charging systems, rather a feature within one of his videos

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Move to a different chassis. The del sol is pretty heavy for its size.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
del sol is heavier with the extra amount of front-to-rear stiffness honda added because of the targa top setup.

once the roof is paneled, and a roll cage in place, that extra rigidty will be more useful than saving a hundred pounds

·
Registered
74 Posts
there are 20aH batteries all over ebay for under 60 bucks shipped. 2 extra aH will be noticed on such a small battery. could mean as much as an extra 30-50 cranking amps

some even cheaper per battery if bought in pairs or triples.

switching to a 16volt AGM battery that is large enough to keep voltage over 13 or 14 over the course of 30-60 minutes of operation and removing all accesories from the engine will add more power and allow less wiring.

Evans Tuning discussed some of the pros and cons of high volt battery versus traditional 12volt and alternator setup on their youtube channel. I forget the video date and title at the moment. the video was not specifically about charging systems, rather a feature within one of his videos
He is trying to save weight, not add it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts