Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my y7 is about to give up the ghost, whenever i hammer on it it puts up a smoke screen when i shift.

so at first i wanted another y7...now im thinking...wtf lets have some fun

so im lookin at a b18b i found a complete swap, engine, tranny, axles, ecu everyhing for 2 grand

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30007

on a sketchier website i found a long block for like 600 shipped, figured i could round up the rest of the stuff... but hmmotors is a lot more trusted.
idk

i wanna go with the b swap since its the easiest swap besides droppin in another d.

and i dont wanna turbo my d. so dont even bring it up

just lookin for some insight for people who have done a b swap. where to buy parts from, what to avoid

just tips i suppose

·
noob
95 Civic Coupe
2,012 Posts
b18b is a very good motor...i would shop around and try and find one local b/c 2,000 is kinda steep. Also i would really consider a b16 trans or gsr trans...makes a huge difference.

·
I got Bit by the Boost Bug
Bmw 528e
1,233 Posts
B18 is a good motor,Dont know what your power goals are,N/a it would take a bit to get what you want from a ls motor,I'd get a b16a motor tranny ecu and do the lsd option for 300 then just get new axles from auto parts store and half shaft from junkyard.Higher hp not as much torque but definitely alot of top end power.

·
Registered
2000 honda civicex
262 Posts
my buddie just a b16a1 swap and him and his dad did it in a weeked well two weekds due to the fact that his mugen header and his right side axel went to shit .... he paid 1400 shipped from florida to ohio he also put in clutch pedals b.c he had an auto lx 99civic ...... he said it was easy the hardes part was put in the pedals other than that everything just fit into place like a glove.

·
Registered
2000 honda civicex
262 Posts
my other buddie droped in a b18c1 in his 95 civc hatch and he boosted i think he boosted 12 pounds with a great tune and the hatch was quick as fudge..... he ended up having a baby and selling this turbo off of it and i think he pulled the motor and sold it but just being in a boosted b18c1 was amazing compaired to boosted d here in lame springfield ohio ....... and as the guy above me said about swaping out to a b16 tranny is what my buddie was wanting to do but didnt have the time .....

·
Bmw 528e
1,233 Posts
No offense but he isnt asking about what your buddies are dropping into the cars,he wants the pros and cons to a ls motor.And i wouldnt mention boost period cause if he wanted to bost he would boost a d.

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
correct me if im wrong but the b18b came out of obd2 teggys.

so are the sensors plug in play in my 96 or do i gotta splice stufff.

2 reasons im lookin at the b18b is

cheap

obd2 which i assume would make an easier swap in my obd2 body

·
Registered
95 Posts
if your gonna get a motor id suggest hmotorsonline i got my d16a through them and im very happy with them. its hard to find someone who sells decent motors. ive been screwed before so hmotorsonline was peace of mind

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
plug and play bump

·
Bmw 528e
1,233 Posts
Sensors should be plug and play,It is cheap to go with you'll be paying at least 300 shipping since im 175 to business and 225 to residential and im in WA st.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
b18b also came in ob1 form i find them cheap at junk yard actually. but for a decent priced working b18b you cant go wrong with hmotorsonline or craigslist.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Why not just go with a B20B/Z?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
B18A/B is a waste of time.

a Z6 can run one down, both being 100% stock

do it right the first time, go B18C or B20, and if you are going B20, well, might as well find a B16 or B18C head. :)

·
Bmw 528e
1,233 Posts
He is going for cheap though and wants something different,A b18c or b20 with a b16/gsr head would be spendy to.I can see he is going for the new fresh motor which is smart for reliability.My old ls pulled pretty good IMO.

Also i would run the b18b,If he wants to upgrade later to more power he can then run ls-v.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
B18A/B is a waste of time.

a Z6 can run one down, both being 100% stock

do it right the first time, go B18C or B20, and if you are going B20, well, might as well find a B16 or B18C head. :)
nope seen it with my own eyes stock b18a with a b16 tranny against a stock z6 b18a won by a car length. now if you boost both the b18a/b still wins

the question here is cheap.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
nope seen it with my own eyes stock b18a with a b16 tranny against a stock z6 b18a won by a car length. now if you boost both the b18a/b still wins

the question here is cheap.
i didnt know LS's came with B16 tranny stock...

could have also been driver error.

i laugh at the kids at the track that drop their Z6 or Y8, install an LS, and run .1 seconds faster, due to seat time. hah

anyways..... 2k aint cheap!

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He is going for cheap though and wants something different,A b18c or b20 with a b16/gsr head would be spendy to.I can see he is going for the new fresh motor which is smart for reliability.My old ls pulled pretty good IMO.

Also i would run the b18b,If he wants to upgrade later to more power he can then run ls-v.
ding ding

i wanna drop in dont care if im makin as much power as a b18/vtec swap

i just wanna drop it in and go. a dd with a little kick

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Like I was saying, B20 FTW. Basically a B18A/B with more torque.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts