Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have owned a mig welder for a few years now, it's a 110 volt welder with 4 heat settings and a fully adjustable wire speed control. I have always used flux core because I don't own a regulator or have shielding gas; the welder has the attachment for the gas. I have always had really bad spatter when welding, even if I turn the heat up or slow the wire speed.

I'm wondering if I use gas and solid wire instead of flux core, will this help control spatter?

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
753 Posts
MIG will definately clean things up a bit compared to flux core.

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good guys, I'll see what I can do about getting a regulator and some gas.

·
Registered
1988 Integra
156 Posts
boost ben,

I did a welding course 3 years ago and got my welding ticket. I did a ton of welding on flux core with gas, without and solid core with gas.

By far the best for 110 vots is solid core with gas. I run .024" wire and 75% CO2 25% ARGON stargold gas and it dosn't spatter much at high settings.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
boost ben,

I did a welding course 3 years ago and got my welding ticket. I did a ton of welding on flux core with gas, without and solid core with gas.

By far the best for 110 vots is solid core with gas. I run .024" wire and 75% CO2 25% ARGON stargold gas and it dosn't spatter much at high settings.
i agree.

you can get nice welds with flux core you just need to know what you are doing.

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm getting nice welds with the flux core it's just messy. I have had good luck with my princess auto welder. Strong welds just spatter everywhere.

I'm making a new header for my car and want it to look a little nicer.

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
Depends on how clean the metal is before you start attacking it with flux core. While multi-mix shielded MIG gives the most consistent results, you can get clean flux core welds. This is stainless pipe with a mild steel bung welded with standard flux core. I wire brushed first and then wiped down the metal with acetone. You can see there is still some spatter, but no more than there would be with shielded MIG.

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
making a header id go TIG
I'd like to but I don't have acsess to a tig welder, I love tig welding but I won't be able to use one for this project.

Depends on how clean the metal is before you start attacking it with flux core. While multi-mix shielded MIG gives the most consistent results, you can get clean flux core welds. This is stainless pipe with a mild steel bung welded with standard flux core. I wire brushed first and then wiped down the metal with acetone. You can see there is still some spatter, but no more than there would be with shielded MIG.

Those look really good for flux core. My welds look smiler after I hit them with my wire brush but I have an ass load of spatter aswell. I tried turning down the wire speed but that made the weld it self look not so good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts