Honda D Series Forum banner

Mid-to-high mileage.

578 views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  Axel 
#1 ·
Hey hey.

My car has rounded 150k km (d16y7) and i want to make it run a bit better, and give it some fresh parts.

Is the AEM fuel filter worth it? Or is there any other fancy-looking or better filter i should get while i am at it? Or is OEM the shit?

I have changed oil a few times since i bought it at 142k km. It burns a bit and i have to fix that. (Bad rings or valve seals i believe.) The oil filter is good though, allmost new.

I've changed the intake and cleaned up the TB and IM. It's got a new air-filter too.

I have recently flushed coolant and changed that, and replaced a useless radiator-fan switch in the thermostat housing.

I want to change my water pump and timing belt too soon.

The spark plugs are 1k km old, so they are ok.

I want to adjust valve lash, because it's ticking abit. So that will be done.

What else should i do? Any good tips? Please include brands and such that you recommend. :)

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would do a compression test first and see if the rings or valve seals are bad and see general what condition the motors in. Just get a OEM fuel filter. You named a lot of good things to do. A few other thing would be;

cap
rotor
wires
injector cleaner
clean eacv or iacv
transmission fluid (Honda MTF) GM synchomesh is supposed to be s$%t.

I can't think of anything else. Maybe it's time for some mod's?

#3 ·
Cap? Radiator? Or...?

And what (plug)wires is recomended? Oem, or some cool aftermarket shit? :D

Forgot to mention i did a full injector cleaner/oil system cleaner/engine flush thingie a month or two ago.

#5 ·
Thanks.

More inputs on the topic anyone?

#7 ·
Yeah, new head/im/tranny maybe soon... have to see. ;) If i get those, i'm doing the whole internal clean-up i think...

G
#10 ·
Axel said:
Yeah, new head/im/tranny maybe soon... have to see. ;) If i get those, i'm doing the whole internal clean-up i think...
before you get a new head etc...take existing part to machinist and have the tolerance measured if its in spec, simply buy a rebuild kit, and do rings, main bearing etc....with 150K if the engine runs good you should not need to do anymore than that....

-Juan

#11 ·
I think the piston rings are a bit worn. So when the new (used) head goes on i will check the rings and if needed replace them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.