Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was wanting to get some opinions on mfactory's 4.7 and 4.9 final drive kits? I am thinking about ordering the 4.7 kit and I think it would provide a way more enjoyable drive than my stock d15b lsd trans. I've had b16 and itr trans so I know how the 4.7 feels and this is what I'll probably be shooting for but I was wondering if anyone uses the 4.9 and what they think about it and differences in 1/8 and 1/4 mile times

thanks

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Even with the 4.9, gears 2-5 will be longer than an ITR transmission and 3-5 will be longer than a B16 (99-00 Si) transmission.

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
Yes, both will make the car way more fun to drive. A FD is the best bang for your buck mod you can do to a car. However neither are compatible with the OEM LSD. You will need to change to an OEM open diff or an MFactory LSD. I have a package deal when you purchase both an MFactory LSD and MFactory FD. Click the link in my signature for more info.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mfactory

Yes, both will make the car way more fun to drive. A FD is the best bang for your buck mod you can do to a car. However neither are compatible with the OEM LSD. You will need to change to an OEM open diff or an MFactory LSD. I have a package deal when you purchase both an MFactory LSD and MFactory FD. Click the link in my signature for more info.

I think we can work something out with a package deal. I called mfactory and they said if I ship them my spare z6 trans that they would install their lsd, final drive kit, carbon synchros and replace all the bearings and seals for $1800. PM me a price of what you could do it for. I'm also located in Tenn so I could come to you.

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
$1,876 for the helical LSD, diff bearings, FD, all other bearings (excluding gear needle bearings), all seals, all sliders, carbon-lined synchros with springs, and labor. That is with the DSO LSD/FD combo price and DSO labor rate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$1,876 for the helical LSD, diff bearings, FD, all other bearings (excluding gear needle bearings), all seals, all sliders, carbon-lined synchros with springs, and labor. That is with the DSO LSD/FD combo price and DSO labor rate.

do you have any cars at your shop with the 4.7 or 4.9 final gear installed? And whats your turn around time on this?

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
No, I no longer do transmission installs. I don't have the room to keep cars around.

Current turn around time is 1 week.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Are they holding up better than the Guy's on H-t?

MF parts aren't designed as intelligently as one might hope it seems. Metallurgicaly, possibly trying to cut corners.

Maybe how they are so much cheaper than longer lasting, more reputable names. Such as PPG, Albins,etc.

The FD was losing it's shit after a few years of use.. I'd like to hear more on that.

Use caution.

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
The guy on H-T was using an OBX LSD that was horribly out of round, causing the FD to pit. Any FD would have done the same.

You have absolutely no idea about the design or metallurgical properties and are just regurgitating something you read (without comprehension as you would have seen the bit about the OBX).

MFactory is made in Taiwan in high quantities. PPG and Albins are made in Australia in small batches. There is your price difference.

Since you said Albins and PPG are longer lasting, please cite your source.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts