Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone.

I'm considering modifying the S40B000 5-speed in my '93 del Sol for improved performance at the track. I try to get out on the weekends during the track season to get some time attack and lapping done.

Back in 2010 I put up a thread when I was considering something similar.

I'm looking at either replacing 3rd gear with an MFactory 1.565 3rd gear and moving third to 4th while keeping the long OEM 5th gear for highway use. I was also considering installing an MFactory 4.7 final drive instead thereby making all the gears shorter however this would affect 5th gear revs during highway usage.

For some context, the car is a '93 del Sol with a 75.5mm bore P29 d16z6. I'm getting the head P&P this spring with a cam and valve train from Rocket Motorsports. It has a Quaife LSD. I'm also looking at getting a Synchrotech carbon kit to rebuild the transmission if I'll be opening it up anyway.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Biggest complaint of all my Honda's have been the 2-3 gear RPM drop with OEM gears so I like the idea.

Don't worry about 5th gear revving on the highway, you will get better mileage as a result. These motors are most efficient at higher RPM's.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Biggest complaint of all my Honda's have been the 2-3 gear RPM drop with OEM gears so I like the idea.

Don't worry about 5th gear revving on the highway, you will get better mileage as a result. These motors are most efficient at higher RPM's.
Thanks for the quick feedback.

Which is the better option in your opinion? 3rd gear or 4.7 FD?

Just to clarify, it's either/or. The budget will only allow for one.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
If you are wanting to cut down on your 2-3 drop the gear swap will better suit your needs. The FD won't do much for the gap that the OEM 2-3 has.

You can always mess around with the Zeal calculator to help you see the differences on a chart/graph.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are wanting to cut down on your 2-3 drop the gear swap will better suit your needs. The FD won't do much for the gap that the OEM 2-3 has.

You can always mess around with the Zeal calculator to help you see the differences on a chart/graph.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
The FD does not change the RPM drop at all.

Get the full 3/5 gear set. You'll hate life on track once you run out of gear in 4th and have to hit the stock 5th. If it's a budget issue I offer a payment plan, you can add the Synchrotech rebuild kit onto it as well.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The FD does not change the RPM drop at all.

Get the full 3/5 gear set. You'll hate life on track once you run out of gear in 4th and have to hit the stock 5th. If it's a budget issue I offer a payment plan, you can add the Synchrotech rebuild kit onto it as well.
If you want performance after 96 mph then yeah get the 5th too...
The tracks I run around my neck of the woods don't require that I shift into 4th almost ever, let alone 5th. Even on the Canadian Tire Motorsports Park International Raceway (formerly Mosport International Raceway) I barely get to the top of 3rd by the end of the back straight. Just not enough power.

Aquafina, would you be able to PM me details of the full cost of the synchro kit and MFactory 3rd? I'll need to send you the postal code (that's right! From the great-white-north) to get the cost of shipping too. The exchange rate is the worst it's been in 12 years...

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
With the better acceleration you will likely need to hit 4th. PM me your post code and I'll get back to you with a full quote and breakdown of the available payment schedules.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
If you find yourself bumping redline in 5th, a 3.7 FD will do well in turbo cars.

4.0 was still too short :)

But still,

45-50 MPG @ 4500 rpm 16.0 AFR ~42 timing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts