Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
94 Civic Hatch
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, ive been doing some research on methanol injection and its a beautiful thing. I just have a few questions for anyone who's used it, i have zero expierence with it.

A few reasons why i'm considering water/methanol injection:
1. I live in a state that e85 isnt readily available
2. Race gas is expensive and only available an hour away at the track
3. The benefits from using water/methanol( i.e heat reduction, detonation supression, keeping the engine internals clean etc etc...)
4. I'm running a small turbo and stock internals and it seems like a no brainer to use it with my setup.

My turbo setup basics:
GT1752
D15B7 stock internals
D16Y8 intake manifold
2.5" DP & Exhaust
Front mount intercooler
Rc 550cc injectors
Comp clutch stage 4
Chipped & converted P06

Questions:
1. Should i go with a pre-turbo installation? Benefits?
2. Should i go with pre-intake installation? Benefits?
3. What kit/s have you used? Price? Whats your overall opinion?
4. Whats a good fail safe and why?

I'd like to keep this clean and also helpful to others. Ill add some links in a lil bit that i found to be very helpful and explained in detail the things i needed to know to help my decission.

·
Registered
ej2
1,388 Posts
Waste of time and money and effort, the turbo will push the d15 to its limits without the need of any extra "power adders". you should be good to go with some 91 octane. No point in overcomplicating a simply turbo build.

·
Registered
94 Civic Hatch
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Waste of time and money and effort, the turbo will push the d15 to its limits without the need of any extra "power adders". you should be good to go with some 91 octane. No point in overcomplicating a simply turbo build.
I'll be daily driving it and I'll be tracking it Wednesday and Friday's. I'm not so much interested in the power adding side of it ( although its a nice feature ), as I am in keeping my temp's low, keeping the engine free of most carbon build up and the major thing helping control detonation. There's a lot more benefits to methanol injection aside from adding power. With my last setup temps were an issue, this time around i plan on doing every little thing i can to keep them as low as possible. I want something that i can have fun with reliably day in and day out. yeah, tuning is a huge factor in having a reliable setup, but what does it hurt to have a little bit of a safety back up?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ditto on that one. I made 230WHP on my stock Y8 all day long on 91pump. That's the best available in this part of the east coast. I am considering meth inj. only now when I plan on upgrading to GTX2867R and being over 320 WHP. I would not even consider it at your present power potential.

·
Registered
982 Posts
on a daily water/meth gets old fast. I have it installed on my supercharged truck and it got to the point that I would purposely stay off boost so I don't have to keep refilling the water/ meth reservoir. What fun is that? Now if you want it just for temp and steam clean benefits, then I would suggest just a water injection and avoid the meth all together. Easier to purchase distilled water only and cheaper. Also, tune your timing without the water so in case you run out or have issues with it, you will not be damaging any vital components.

edit,
oh and by the way, the truck was not even my daily and it got old fast. I had to keep checking the resi before any long trip, in particular any trip that would require hill climbs and when going through mountains I'd even take spare mixture.

I have contemplated removing the water/meth injection all together since its been giving me a few problems lately. Hose connection came loose on a long road trip and lost all the juice. I had to remove the fuse/relay to not burn out the motor and be very causious not to go into boost.

just a few other things you should take into consideration.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
I would go for it anyways. I did with a small t3 and it helped big time. On the top end when the turbo was out of breath, I was still able to make more power by being more aggressive with timing/fuel changes.

Once you upgrade your turbo it will be an upgrade you already wanted in place. I used straight meth only, and even taking it to the track and making serveral passes, I still had over half of it left. My meth only ran when certain conditions were met(mph,boost pressure, master switch), so daily driving it would not make it turn on.

·
Registered
94 Civic Hatch
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
on a daily water/meth gets old fast. I have it installed on my supercharged truck and it got to the point that I would purposely stay off boost so I don't have to keep refilling the water/ meth reservoir. What fun is that? Now if you want it just for temp and steam clean benefits, then I would suggest just a water injection and avoid the meth all together. Easier to purchase distilled water only and cheaper. Also, tune your timing without the water so in case you run out or have issues with it, you will not be damaging any vital components.

edit,
oh and by the way, the truck was not even my daily and it got old fast. I had to keep checking the resi before any long trip, in particular any trip that would require hill climbs and when going through mountains I'd even take spare mixture.

I have contemplated removing the water/meth injection all together since its been giving me a few problems lately. Hose connection came loose on a long road trip and lost all the juice. I had to remove the fuse/relay to not burn out the motor and be very causious not to go into boost.

just a few other things you should take into consideration.
Ill be setting up a fail safe so if there is a malfunction in the system it will switch to a lowwer boost tune. Also I'll be setting up a level indicator so i will know before it runs out of juice. My resevoiur is gonna be a 6 gal marine tank in the trunk, it should last a while. You should take into consideration that your truck requires like 5 times the fuel my car does.

I would go for it anyways. I did with a small t3 and it helped big time. On the top end when the turbo was out of breath, I was still able to make more power by being more aggressive with timing/fuel changes.

Once you upgrade your turbo it will be an upgrade you already wanted in place. I used straight meth only, and even taking it to the track and making serveral passes, I still had over half of it left. My meth only ran when certain conditions were met(mph,boost pressure, master switch), so daily driving it would not make it turn on.
Yeah, a big reason I wanted to go with water/methanol injection is because im running a small turbo and i want to increase the effiecentcy range in the higher rpms

·
Registered
94 Civic Hatch
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i sense a blown d15 in your near by future.
what, like the 2 that got blown the summer before last? lol. i doubt adding water/methanol injection is going to cause my motor to blow. water/methanol injection is intended to make your setup more efficient and safer in a sense. I really need to get to my computer so i can add links, i dont think you quite understand how and what water/methanol injection does. like i said i don't plan on using the water/methanol injection to increase horsepower, i just want it mainly to keep my temps low and to allow this tiny gt17 not to run out of breathe in the higher rpm's so fast. with my turbo setup (without water/meth) im aiming to have it tuned on 14psi which should put me around 190ish hp, then I'll keep it at 14psi with the water/methanol injection hooked up and tune for it. another thing water/methanol injection is good for is throttle response, from what I've read/seen.

there are just so many perks to running water/methanol injection on boosted cars that it seems silly not to use it.

·
Registered
ej2
1,388 Posts
I get what your trying to do but its gonna create more tq regardless. but you already know that. Im not by any means downing your system. I once had the same idea but I settled for e85 since its fairly easy to obtain around here.

·
Registered
94 Civic Hatch
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I get what your trying to do but its gonna create more tq regardless. but you already know that. Im not by any means downing your system. I once had the same idea but I settled for e85 since its fairly easy to obtain around here.
yeah if e85 was an option I'd probably go that route. But i honestly don't know of 1 station in my entire state (Maine) that even carry's it. So for what i have to work with water/methanol injection is gonna be my cheapest option. I don't mind making extra torque as long as its not gonna push me past the breaking point. I think it's gonna be more of a benefit to my setup than anything honestly.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
yeah if e85 was an option I'd probably go that route. But i honestly don't know of 1 station in my entire state (Maine) that even carry's it.
e85 can suck a fat one lol. it's great for power but once it gets cold you'll hate trying to start your car. plus if the car is your daily driver and there aren't any pumps around you're SOL.

the one pump in 200 miles of my house was only 15 min away, then closed for almost a year...now thery're back :uh:.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
My car starts on the second crank and its around 5º. May just be my kick ass Hiprofile/Injector Nation injectors.
my 1000s dont like it at all. my gas/meth tune fires right up :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's definitely worth getting. A good insurance added to the motor if set up correctly. I have it set to come on at 5psi so its not coming on while daily driving. Definitely keeps my temps down when i do highway pulls. Running 50/50 Mix. AEM Kit

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Will it help, yeah, is it needed, not at all specially with this setup. If you wanna do it though you wanna put it before the throttle body on the cold side piping.

Where Do I Position My Water Injection Nozzles

If you were a customer I'd tell you to save your money for something else.

A few reasons why i'm considering water/methanol injection:
1. ( 91 or 93 octane will be just fine )
2. ( race gas isn't needed for that power )
3. ( if you wanna keep the internals clean don't drive the engine, in all honesty you can spray water down the throttle body every now and then and steam clean the inside of your engine )
4. ( Save your money and invest it into something that will be more benaficial )

·
Registered
13 Posts
I run water meth @ a 90%meth and 10%water and i love it , keeps the temps way down and i made 550+ on 93 and meth/water . you could make your own kit and save some money

·
Registered
72 Posts
I heard the snow kit is pretty damn good. There are the ups and downs of running meth. Ups are cooler temps a mint combustion chamber and you can run stupid timing; the negatives possibility of running out and getting stuck or system failure wich is poopie for the motor. I like your idea of a safety system and a level meter in the tank great idea, id like to hear your ideas on that. I think it might be a small hassle running it on a dd but if you stay on top of it i don't see a problem. I say go for it. I've been toying with the idea of nitrous meth setup on my a6 just for the experience. let us know how it goes.h

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
I heard the snow kit is pretty damn good. There are the ups and downs of running meth. Ups are cooler temps a mint combustion chamber and you can run stupid timing; the negatives possibility of running out and getting stuck or system failure wich is poopie for the motor. I like your idea of a safety system and a level meter in the tank great idea, id like to hear your ideas on that. I think it might be a small hassle running it on a dd but if you stay on top of it i don't see a problem. I say go for it. I've been toying with the idea of nitrous meth setup on my a6 just for the experience. let us know how it goes.h

I have the snow kit and works great. I have the upgraded tank with a low level indicator, wired up to the low fuel light on my GSR cluster in my EF.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts