Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... A couple weeks ago, while at Wal-Mart, picking up various car-care products for the summer months, I came across this:

For just $5.67

Now, I have used different kits on different cars over the years from the buffers to the sander/buffer combos but never a kit was just apply & wipe away. Meguiars is a well-known name amongst the auto industry so I gave it a shot figuring that $6 was a fair price and if all else fails, just buy the new black housing headlights I want for the Civic, anyways... But while I still have the OEM dealies on the car, I could try this stuff.

Well, Meguiars lived up to their high quality standards and pleased me with the results because after 1 of the 4 coatings that I put on (I couldve been done after just 1 coating but I'm an over-achiever and I wanted more, plus it was my day off, so I was enjoying just playing with the car) just on headlight, I was happy. By coating #2 I was super-psyched! and by the 4th coating, I was looking at myself as if I were in a mirror.

Here are the pictures of said work. The pictures were taken after coating #2.

BEFORE:

AFTER

BEFORE (Lights on):

AFTER (Lights on):

Again, this was just after 2 coatings.

Needless to say, I was please with a $6 purchase that has lasted for 3wks+ considering that some of those home polishing kits will last for about a week...

OVERALL:
~Easy to use
~Easy to follow directions (for you dummies)
~Takes very little time
~Results are astounding

:TU: Meguiars! You didnt disappoint

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
The only way to "fix" a light like that is to buy a new one.... Otherwise your smearing some petroleum based product on your light.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
The only way to "fix" a light like that is to buy a new one.... Otherwise your smearing some petroleum based product on your light.
That's an interesting viewpoint. I have had pretty good success with lightly wet sanding plastic lenses and polishing them out.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I have used Plasti-X with a wool buffing pad, at 2000rpm, after a wet sanding, from even as heavy as 1000 grit, to 1500, to 2000, then polish, it looks 100% brand new.

Shit is crazy. Wish I had pics. Did it hundreds of times at my old job.

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you're smearing some petroleum based product on your light.
Well, this petroleum (Which, oddly enough, does smell kinda good) works quite well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Definitely a good product. Don't buy those "headlight restoration" kits. They're basically using something just like Plastx but includes all the sanders/rags/etc for a huge upcharge.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
I have used Plasti-X with a wool buffing pad, at 2000rpm, after a wet sanding, from even as heavy as 1000 grit, to 1500, to 2000, then polish, it looks 100% brand new.

Shit is crazy. Wish I had pics. Did it hundreds of times at my old job.
I can believe with sanding it could be achieved. Because your removing the damaged layers of plastic. But just to buff on wipe off, no way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Definitely a good product. Don't buy those "headlight restoration" kits. They're basically using something just like Plastx but includes all the sanders/rags/etc for a huge upcharge.
My local parts store has one for just under $10. Thats for the Plastx equivalent and all the needed pads. Im sure its a very small amount of Plastx, prolly just enough for both lights 1 time, but it is a rather small up front cost rather than paying $6 for the Plastx, then buying a pack of each grit pads. You definitly get more bang for your buck buying in bulk, but its not a "huge upcharge", more of a slight "convenience charge." haha

·
Registered
m1165a2 HMMWV
61 Posts
Used this on my buddies CRV when he got it. Only did one coat I think it lasted awhile to. Lights still look better than we he got it two years ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts