Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.... first and foremost, Honda built some incredible suspension and steering components right out of the box for the EG and EK years. 2nd, I am dumb for trying to change this in the first place.

Megan Racing gets a bad rep, but I've had nothing but good performance out of my parts, who knows why. I purchased the reverse tie-rod ends from them after installing a set of lower extended BJ's. After alignment and setup: (Toe: F,0 R,0 / Camber: F,-3.0 R,-2.5 / Caster: F+.5) it was the most uncontrollable car I've ever driven at high speed.

Honda has almost no bump steer from the factory and coilovers when properly setup, really zero it out completely. I changed the geometry SO MUCH, that it bounced over corners, turn in was a nightmare, etc. DON'T CHANGE THE OEM BALLJOINTS OR OUTER RODS.

I'd advise on keeping it stock with heat wrapped BJ's like they do in Japan for good measure and longevity, but get a good coil over, leave the steering alone and you'll be fine.

The parts: I'd give them both a B+ rating, but I destroyed the extended joints from wear and tear on city streets with the spherical outer rods installed.

*I don't condone these even for circuit driving due to the unpredictability of high speed bumps in the road.*

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Good to know. I have never heard of these until your initial thread. Thanks for trying them out and getting back to us.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember the issues you had been having until you switched back to stock, glad you made this for people to see.

And you as of right now have 666 post, lol.
667!! Hazaah!

No in all seriousness, these are the most dangerous thing you can put on the suspension system. You might as well unbolt your steering knuckle assembly and drive on the freeway to experience it.

lol, glad this may be useful to other people. I wish I could just edit my original posts on the subject, then write in 'Updates' instead of a new thread. Oh well.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
teh reverse tie rods are perfect for those who are severely lowered. It maintains inner tie rod reliability, and definitely are not on the list for high speed.

However, you had 3 degrees of camber dialed in, that will make some tires catch pretty hard around corners (think soft shoulder tires), and having zero toe does make it "darty"

If someone on here does infact have these reverse tierods as well,I suggest giving it a tiny bit of toe-in, and dont go over say, 1.5 degrees of camber.

The caster adjustment is awesome if the suspension components allow you to dial it in properly. Really helps prevent the natural toe and camber change that comes with up and down movement over bumps

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heat wrap to protect from brake heat?
Yup. Believe it or not the ball joints get super hot when you're out lapping. I "experimented" when I first saw this on a Japanese car (some photo set I saw) ... tried it and WOW, hot to the touch if you don't have your heat shielding intact.

I wrapped them just recently and it actually works. They're cool to the touch. That's proof enough for me! Extends the life for sure.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I have some dei cool it tape, would that work? I guess its not quite as good as reflect a gold

1 - 10 of 10 Posts