Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I am looking to put my PLX R500 in the car with a power flip out mechanism that is controllable with a switch (open/closed) and completely hides the r500 when I'm not in the car.
I want to do this so the R500 can stay hidden in the dashboard when the car is parked or whenever car needs to look 'stock'.
I am thinking of machining a slider mechanism and using a linear actuator to slide the unit in and out from just in front of the gauge cluster on my 1994 coupe.
Does anyone here do custom audio installations who could show me where to get either an off the shelf slider mecahnism or where I could get the controls/actuators to make this project myself. Of particular concern, I need the control circuit to stop the actuator at set points, and the actuator itself. Also, the mechanism needs to be very compact as there isn't much space to work with above the gauge cluster.
I have access to a mill and a tig and want to keep costs as low as possible.
If anyone is in the NYC area and does this kind of stuff, let me know also.
Thanks.:TU:

·
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
autoloc makes the actuators, lost of places carry them

and i just use a drawer slide you can get em at home depot and the likes.....

just a little creativity, and a lil alcohol....lloll

or bud.... whichever your poison is

·
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
oh yeah, most of the acuators have a built in load switch, that turns it off when it gets to the end of the travel...... either direction

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the Info so far!
The one I need to make needs to slide out horizontally then needs to make unit flip out vertically so a regular drawer slider unfortunately wont work...

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
I thought about it on mine, I was going to pull the pass side airbag and take the top off and make a motorized panel so when it was closed it would just like the airbag.Like mentioned above you can get an actuator to move it up and down. You'll need to rig up someway to mount it behind the dash. I was going to do it on mine, but I'm too damn lazy to mess with it :lol:

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
^Were you thinking (like me) to gut the bag and have a 3 gauge pod hide below the panel with an actuator to raise and lower? Think that's be pimp!

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
^Were you thinking (like me) to gut the bag and have a 3 gauge pod hide below the panel with an actuator to raise and lower? Think that's be pimp!
yeah, that's what I was thinking :)

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
^^ I don't think it's worth compromising the safety of your vehicle.But yeah great idea guys.I will definately be keeping this mod in mind,cheers.
yeah, my wife is requiring me to put in 4 point harnesses before I do it. Being lazy and broke has deterred me from it at this time :lol:

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually have the 4pt harnesses but am not putting them in without a roll cage... When the cage goes in, the car will end it's life as a road car... It only does about 3000 miles a year now anyway for longer trips and between my house and the autoX...
Honda4vw, I know this mod sounds like pimp/bling ricer crap, but that's really not the idea... The entire point of this setup would be to keep the car as discreet as possible and to avoid having a 500$ gauge ripped out... If you can't see it, you wont steal it...
Since I havent been able to find an off the shelf system, I'll be custom making everything. In all, assembly should weigh less than 4lbs as an actuator should weigh roughly 2 lbs and the mechanism will be made of aluminum to save weight. I figure a few lbs of weight penalty is worth it to get WB02, EGT, Knock Monitoring, and G-Sensor Datalogging for when I go autocrossing... ;-)

·
Registered
698 Posts
This is an awesome idea. When my ambitions lied elsewhere i was planning on making a flip up screen with actuators that would come up from under my passenger airbag cover (losing the airbag of course). I work at a custom audio shop and we have access to all the supplies i wouldve needed, but changed my mind and I think im gonna do like a gauge setup or a custom mounted ECU on an actuator that pops up enough to show the usb port for tuning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts