Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
yes. 10,000's if they got one. the more accurate the better.

·
Registered
98 Civic CX-T on E85
1,797 Posts
why are you measureing p2w clearance?? are you boring the block yourself?? if you take it to a machine shop with your pistons and tell them what p2w clearance you want they will do it...but if you want the gauge you want 1000's .000 at the least.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
why are you measureing p2w clearance?? are you boring the block yourself?? if you take it to a machine shop with your pistons and tell them what p2w clearance you want they will do it...but if you want the gauge you want 1000's .000 at the least.
Because sometimes they fuck up.

Because sometimes they decide on what they should do despite your instructions.

Because if they know you will check on assembly, they might take more care.

Because you might be checking to see if it needs machine work or can be run as is.

You absolutely need accuracy to 0.001" at least.

You not only need a gauge that has a scale to that accuracy, you need one that you can get reproducible consistent readings with at that accuracy.

You won't get that with a caliper. You will need a micrometer.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Oh

And you need to know where on the piston to measure because pistons do not have perfectly straight parallel cylindrical skirts. They usually have some barrel shape in one plane and cam shape in the other.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
I use a feeler gauge. not popular?

course I cannot guarentee I am holding it square and such

·
Registered
94 Civic LX
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You don't measure stuff for P2W with calipers, you use micrometers and preferably a bore gauge.
I know but no where around here sells t gauges. And the biggest mics are only 3 inch. Looks like I'm just going to have to order it :/ and to the other guy, the reason I'm measuring is because this is a high mileage block. If there is excessive clearance, I'm just going to have it bored and go with 75.5 mm vitaras instead of my standard bore vitaras.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,929 Posts
Pat spelled it out clear as day.

T gauges and a micrometer, end of story.

Feeler gauge is not accurate because a.) it's a flat leaf bending into a circular shape b.) you're only able to measure the P2W down to the 1st ring. As Pat mentioned, pistons aren't perfect straight and may be a slightly larger diameter depending on where on the piston you are measuring

Measure the cylinder bores with your t gauges at 3 points then measure the t-gauges with the micrometer. Be sure to measure the bores front-to-back and side-to-side to ensure the cylinder is not egg shaped.

Measure each piston at 3 points with the micrometer. Subtract the largest piston diameter measurement from the cylinder bore measurement and you have your P2W clearance.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
How about if we can't afford the tools but would like to double check machine shop work, how would we go along doing that? How bout for measuring crank runout and journal diameter? do we use micrometer too and t-gauge for main girdle and block?

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Repped Pat!!! Great info guys.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
A feeler gauge can be used as a second check if you kow how to do it and you accept it will be a bit dodgey.

You have to do it with no rings on the piston.

If it's over 0.003"clearance you use a feeler gauge either side so they are both thin enough to wrap around the bore easily.

You measure from the deck of the piston to the centre of the pin, then you mark that distance on the feeler gauge, then you push the feeler gauge straight down from the top to the mark then feel the fit.

You should measure a piston where the manufacturer recommends, but if there is no recommendation, you should measure perpendicular to the pin bore and level with the pin bore centre line or axis.

Piston Tech

FAQs - JE Pistons

http://www.jepistons.com/PDFs/TechCorner/SCPDrawings/piston_instrc4032.pdf

http://www.manleyperformance.com/dl/tech/piston.pdf

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Oh

If you use feeler gauges you come down from the top because the piston normally has extra clearance above the pin as that runs otter and is tighter toward the bottom of the skirt as the skirts are often designed to be a bit tight but flex a bit to reduce noise.

·
Registered
'97 Del Sol
751 Posts
@Pat, you Rock that is all

@OP, sadly HF won't have what you need, as I've looked into the same tools that you are. But I guy from H-T passed along the site "Shars(dot)com". I havn't used any of thier tools "yet" but will very soon. And thier prices of fair with HF anyway. Good Luck :bigok:

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Also, just because I say how to do it, that does not mean I actually recommend it unless there is no option.

·
Registered
94 Civic LX
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So if you don't recommend it, how should I go about doing this? I want to take my block in to be honed. But I want to make sure the p2w is tight enough. But you guys say its not the correct procedure. What IS the correct way? I don't want to waste money having it honed if it has excessive clearance. I'm totally open to answers, and taking note of all info given. And thanks to everyone contributing. I really appreciate it

·
Registered
'97 Del Sol
751 Posts
how should I go about doing this?
T gauges and a micrometer, end of story.

Measure the cylinder bores with your t gauges at 3 points then measure the t-gauges with the micrometer. Be sure to measure the bores front-to-back and side-to-side to ensure the cylinder is not egg shaped.

Measure each piston at 3 points with the micrometer. Subtract the largest piston diameter measurement from the cylinder bore measurement and you have your P2W clearance.
^^^That's the gist of it from my understanding

Is it not in the manual? I thought it was. I know there has to be a good
write-up somewhere, I've seen it. Maybe even a vid? Did Evans tuning do this? Anyway you'll be able to find the correct info faster than I can from work.

But arn't most vitara pistons already loose to begin with? Have you checked the cylinders hatch marks? I mean think about it if the problem is because they are too loose then honing isn't gonna help unless you take the pistons the next size up. Just a thought

1 - 20 of 23 Posts