Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i pulled my plugs the other day i have 3 that have some carbon coating, while #4 is white. This is like the 3rd set of plugs that have done this. Its running rich b/c its untuned (waiting on wideband), but #4 always has less buildup than the other 3. IIRC i swapped in a diff injector on that one when I was doing the build for some reason, or somewhere along the line since.

I though I remember checking the resistance on all 4 before putting them in...Is there any other way to see if this injector is bad? BTW, can't swap another one on until i get some new fuel rail studs b/c one or 2 are bend bad enough the rail won't come off.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stock injectors on stock MAP sensor...The fuel map itself isn't stock though, it's a basemap that runs fat on the other 3.

The only thing I've thought the whole fuel-trim adjustment is that its never done this before i put this setup in it. Also i don't remember which injector i mixed in b/c i had like 3 batches of them and one them got mixed in with the original 3.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
you could have resistance in the wiring to that injector. you could try a voltage drop test for shits and giggles.

o, you know what you could do, is a power balance test. DERRR!

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you could have resistance in the wiring to that injector. you could try a voltage drop test for shits and giggles.

o, you know what you could do, is a power balance test. DERRR!
Yep, dunno how to do a voltage drop test or what a power balance test is.

I didn't think about the laser thermo, i have one and forgot all about that.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Mechanics stethoscope or flathead screwdriver. Rest the tip of the screwdriver against the injector body and place your ear by the handle. You should be able to hear the injector clicking as it opens and closes.

If they are all clicking normally, it may still need to be cleaned (gunked up). Try soaking it in a parts washer overnight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yeah but sometimes that never works, soaking your parts what type of cleaner are u useing? sometimes when you put that screwdriver to your ear u can hear different tones not all of them are the same

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
The best way to clean injectors is in an ultrasonic parts washer with solvent being forced through them while cycling them at various duty cycles.

Most of us can't do that, so I suggest the simplest, which is tossing them in a parts washer overnight.

If that fails, resort to more complicated / expensive methods.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the advice guys. I checked it with my thermo gun and found that cyl to be around 50-70* hotter at the header at ~1300 rpm, so i pulled it finally(got a bent rail stud, so it took a while) and I checked voltage to the clip and resistance on the injector, and they both checked out (like 11.55V on the clip vs 11.5 and 11.45 on the other injectors, and the resistance was in spec on the injector). It had no build-up around the pintle, which is why I put it in over the other ones I have, but I guess it may have not been working for a while.

So, i'm taking one I have thats got some build up, I sprayed it down with carb/tb cleaner and checked the plastic filter on top, which looks better than the one in the car. Prolly won't get to fixing it today, rains are coming in o_O.

Rep for all the advice and help guys!

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I got it swapped in, had to do it in the middle of the night during the hurricane lol. Haven't checked the temps on the cyl's yet, gonna put new plugs in it (someone stalled my car and let the plugs get fouled) and check it today or tomorrow. Seems to be running better though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts