Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I just spent about 15minutes writing this all out & I erased it..:( )

I've been having many problems with the setup...
I know this is a stupid thread but its been on my mind for the past couple of weeks..& I thought I would share it with the d-series peeps...anyways,
the problems arent the worst in the world...but it gives me thoughts..

problems:
cracked manifold/rewelded...cracked again
(the sound is unreal!...doesn't sound healthy)

oil feed line broke the 1st 1000miles & then the 2..I'm yet to see the third
(both times caused me to break down for 15-30minutes while arguing with my girl)

oil return is touching the downpipe which doesn't look good
(I can about put my finger through the return)

the car hops somtimes...when I'm trying to drive normal...which when I floor it for about 10 seconds the car kicks in boost automatically causing the car to jerk & spilling drink or somthing on my girl-happened the past 2-4 times...
isn't very touching while driving to the store with your girl & your kid....

the charge pipe created a dent popping up on my hood

I use about 15$ every 2 days in gas..for about 10 miles a day...I don't even really get on it much & I try to drive normal.(but I do boost alot & I do have fun)

(--all of these problems are my fault...from cheaping out..not saying none of these parts are junk..but for me they haven't worked very well...& theres many more problems I could name...)

I've just had thoughts cross my mind because somtimes I want my car running normal....but I love boost til death & its hard to take the stuff off,.
maybe nitrous?/ or N/A?..i dunno..or maybe rebuild the turbo setup...but its gonna take more then what it looks like...
(I may need practicly everything! again...)

heres some pics & a short vid:

(^current)

(^cracked under every runner)

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
its your shitty fuel setup, and your shitty manifold.

get an HF+plate, and don't use an FMU.

chipped pm6 tuned with turboedit

·
Registered
Acura TL-P
6,837 Posts
Take it off.

Well, let me ask this. The 1st pic says "current" is that how you actually drive the car??

For starters, you just have bad parts and very bad management.

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
its your shitty fuel setup, and your shitty manifold.

get an HF+plate, and don't use an FMU.

chipped pm6 tuned with turboedit
x2. I'd also check the piping to make sure it has the humps at the end to help hold the couplers in place.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Isn't that an SSAuto Kit?? :hammer:
shhhhh....yes it is
heres some of what I done today:

let me add that if I do end up taking it all off...I may end up doing somthing different...then I will list this stuff in the fs area +Xtra

but really it has to come off for me to fix it....so i dunno :(

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
id say take it off and redo certain things, get an hf manifold or a cast ebay manifold and switch the turbo the other way. run a basemapped pm6. if you can weld then you are good enough to solder in the 28pin zif socket and do your ecu yourself believe me. you should be golden after that. ive learned my lesson with shoddy oil returns and ebay manifolds.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
id say take it off and redo certain things, get an hf manifold or a cast ebay manifold and switch the turbo the other way. run a basemapped pm6. if you can weld then you are good enough to solder in the 28pin zif socket and do your ecu yourself believe me. you should be golden after that. ive learned my lesson with shoddy oil returns and ebay manifolds.
you know I thought of that.....but really I need:

oil feed line
oil return line
manifold
downpipe
research/learn the ecu chipped route.

which all requires me to remove the turbo setup & weld the header back to the exhaust & coming back & doing it all over again....
& I had thoughts of just piecing what I have left of the kit & going in another direction.....still not sure but opinons are always helpful

btw,thats the turbo I bought from you & its golden

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
glad to hear it dude!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i personally dont know y alot people cheap out on stuff. if it's cheap for a reason look how many feed lines u have buy with that u proboly would of buy a good one that manifold is just gonna brake over and over again
keep that kit i saw ur video who was recording shakes too much LOL

·
Registered
180 Posts
its funny when one has the answers to all the questions yet still ask but its all good but what i can say is that yr problem is minor compare to others u need to do take the crap out get some stuff from someone here that would sure love to help start with that manifold u can weild thatshit all u like and u will get the same results by the look of things i can c the piping resting on the bonnett by the worn out heat wrap that probally makes a hell of a noise while driving try changing that radiator get a alluminum one which would give u more room to work with .i would hate to b driving and wondering if my engine or parts thereof will drop of ....if u going to do it do it right .....no disrespect intended

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
its funny when one has the answers to all the questions yet still ask but its all good
very true!

I may be taking it off today....i need sleep

to fix the charge pipe...i was thinking of the switch the turbo thing...but I believe the outlet on the turbo was aiming at the block....clocking it didn't help any on the cold side.

I thought about magically making a manifold....seriously
using the t3 flange,wastegate flange w/pipe & the flange on the manifold itself & making my own pipes.

then I would need to stretch the downpipe....(from the turbo switched...if possible) making the downpipe go straight down,instead of twisting...whereas my return line was hitting the downpipe....its confusing but I understand what I'm talking about...

...I'm still tired.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I would just start over fresh.

New manifold, new charge piping, new downpipe,new oil feed,better managment.Take your time and plan out what you want to do and whats the best way to do it.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
i personally dont know y alot people cheap out on stuff. if it's cheap for a reason look how many feed lines u have buy with that u proboly would of buy a good one that manifold is just gonna brake over and over again
keep that kit i saw ur video who was recording shakes too much LOL
Just because it's name brand doesn't mean it will be ok. I have had problems with my stealthmode kit and oil restrictor.

And personally I don't know why you would post such a stupid fucking statement. A lot of people hate on ebay shit just because everyone else does it. I know more than a couple people running ebay "57 trim" turbos making good reliable power off of them. Does ebay shit always work? Perhaps not but maybe the OP got a good deal on it. I'm running an ssauto mani too because it was FREE. I believe the previous owner had several thousand miles on it; he had upgraded and was nice enough to give me the mani. If it breaks then it's fine with me...it served it's purpose. If it doesn't then when I upgrade it will be "passed on" to someone trying to put together their own turbo set-up.

I agree with ditching the FMU and if the mani is cracking then toss it. Other than that just get the kinks worked out. I know it can be frustrating. My car has been off of the road more than on since I boosted it but that's mainly because I have NO time to fix the things that need to be fixed.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Just because it's name brand doesn't mean it will be ok. I have had problems with my stealthmode kit and oil restrictor.

And personally I don't know why you would post such a stupid fucking statement. A lot of people hate on ebay shit just because everyone else does it. I know more than a couple people running ebay "57 trim" turbos making good reliable power off of them. Does ebay shit always work? Perhaps not but maybe the OP got a good deal on it. I'm running an ssauto mani too because it was FREE. I believe the previous owner had several thousand miles on it; he had upgraded and was nice enough to give me the mani. If it breaks then it's fine with me...it served it's purpose. If it doesn't then when I upgrade it will be "passed on" to someone trying to put together their own turbo set-up.

I agree with ditching the FMU and if the mani is cracking then toss it. Other than that just get the kinks worked out. I know it can be frustrating. My car has been off of the road more than on since I boosted it but that's mainly because I have NO time to fix the things that need to be fixed.

I think what he was trying to suggest was, if the parts fail, and you're going to contemplate removing the whole setup...then you are better off (and more likely safer) buying name brand parts that have been tried and true on hundreds of setups. if his ssauto mani breaks, and he wants to junk the whole setup because it keeps cracking and he doesn't want to deal with rewelding it, then he should NOT buy another ssauto mani because they are cheap and a SMALL percentage of people running them have been ok.

To the original poster: get a more stable manifold. i have an HF mani and a logular mani(log/semi tubular) that i could sell you for cheap. very solid and won't crack.

take the time to route your oil lines properly.

pull that garbage fuel management out and put in a chipped ecu. your car will thank you 1000 times over on a good tune.

Best of luck, i'd be happy to help answer any questions

-Luke

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
I think what he was trying to suggest was, if the parts fail, and you're going to contemplate removing the whole setup...then you are better off (and more likely safer) buying name brand parts that have been tried and true on hundreds of setups. if his ssauto mani breaks, and he wants to junk the whole setup because it keeps cracking and he doesn't want to deal with rewelding it, then he should NOT buy another ssauto mani because they are cheap and a SMALL percentage of people running them have been ok.
-Luke
Luke, I agree with you 100%. I would never replace an ssauto mani for an ssauto mani. Honestly I would never buy an ssauto mani but that's just me. Mine was given to me so I'm rocking it until it breaks or I have enough $$$ to upgrade to a nice mini-ram.

99redek, if I misunderstood you then I apologize.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts