Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
than a d series? why is it that a b16 can make well over 300+whp on stock internals while a d16 can only make 200~250ish on stock internals? are the rods that much stronger in a b16 than a d16? i just dont get that.. the same w/ like k-series.. they can go like 600hp .. and same for s2000 motors .. not sure what the name is .. and also h22s .. just wondering what it is that makes them less liekly to blow up

·
Registered
98 civic ex coupe
938 Posts
x2 on displacement. plus 2cams>1cam. You can blow up anything. All in the tune. The other motors are built tougher. Plus say a d16y8 starts with 128hp at the flywheel. A b18c has almost 60hp more to start with. So for a guy with B series to hit the 300whp mark is like a d16y8 hitting the 230+whp mark. Thats been done time and time again. Basic rule of thumb once you hit double your stock output (flywheel hp) expect some issues. As for 600hp on a stock k series id like to see that. You can do some crazy things with a k20 but god damn 600hp. Thats alot of stress for a stock engine with such high comp to begin with. Just my 2 cents.

·
Black Dynamite
1991 HONDA Civic
5,880 Posts
the k20 might hit 600hp one time before the rods start coming through the block
fo sho my K20z3 already has the compression ratio of a Z06 with half the cylinders. I agree with some post above. Quality of parts is what makes the difference. Same reason you buy forged rods and piston to push a D or any other model engine for that matter way beyond it's intended limits. You want more power...need stronger components. Some just come from the factory with better shit in them than others

·
Registered
455 Posts
d16 rod/stroke ratio: 1.52-1.62
b16 rod/stroke ratio: 1.62-1.74
k series rod/stroke ratio: 2

don't quote me on that, but the figures are close enough to accurate. the dohc parts are more resilient and have less resistance to work against so it seems logical that they have the capacity to put more power to the wheels and less power overcoming internal resistance like the D. the K valvetrain is also superior to the B, making up for the additional valvetrain resistance that the B has compared to the D. iirc...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
alrite .. anyway .. theres a stock k series that made like 600hps .. i just saw it on turbo d16 i think .. and i remember seeing a video of some guy dumping 42 psi into his stock k series .. and then it went boom.

but back to the hp thing .. displacement might have something to do with it .. but what i'm saying is why is it that d16 rods will break after like 250hp ... but b16's will handle 250 with ease... is it the internals? are they much stronger on teh b?

heres the thread i'm talking about
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2036623&cmd=addnotify

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
dont forget about compression.
h22s have a much higher compression ratio compared to most d's and b's.

i had a boosted h22, just added a thicker headgasket to lower the compression down and only street tuned it and worked fine.

the higher compression you have, the harder to tune properly.

the weakest link with the d series is its rods.

·
Registered
149 Posts
plsn and simple.
the d series is a smaller motor from the factory meant to make less power.
a b or h series make considerably more power stock. so there internals have to be built to handle the everyday tug and stress of more power. a d series(made for its gas mileage not power) parts are thin and light.
there what you need and nothing more. really. less weight of rotating assembly better gas mileage...(i beleive)
basically tho.
fuck all the others.
D's ftw. any other letter and your just followin tha crowd.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alrite .. yea its making more sense ..

i was thinking of maybe goin b20 style just to get a little extra low end

·
Registered
98 civic ex coupe
938 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea i might take a look at it .. i have a turbo d16 right now .. i'm making 178whp at 6 psi. i'm just thikning about all the wonderful things i'm gunna do when i graduate college.. and a turbo d16 is nice .. but i'm still gunna consider other things .. i've never had a b sereis .. and a built b20 just seems fun

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
the rods are stronger, thats why. why do you think people use machined LS rods for D-series motors. Plus the 2 cams to 1 cam and the heads flow alot better than b heads. The d is simply a budget oriented motor, its not really a performace motor, although it can be pretty wicked when tuned right

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic
1,784 Posts
the rods are stronger, thats why. why do you think people use machined LS rods for D-series motors. Plus the 2 cams to 1 cam and the heads flow alot better than b heads. The d is simply a budget oriented motor, its not really a performace motor, although it can be pretty wicked when tuned right
Exactly, the D-series is the economy motor, it was never meant to push the 200hp barrier although the crank is a stout piece. The B-series and the K are meant to be more performance oriented. Plus the R/S ratio as mentioned before.

doesn't mean the D is bad though, just a little underbuilt in some aspects. nothing a good set of rods can't fix.

·
Registered
01 civic lx
310 Posts
check out cheesefrog they had a k20 forgot the horsepower but they accidentally hit overboost all stock internals

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
Not only is the d-series an economy motor for the most part, it's also the oldest design. The B-series used what Honda had learned previously and applied it to a more performance oriented motor. The K-series is pretty much the same, although Honda even threw away some of their own work when the changed to rotation. I'll bet that when the new ?-series comes out, it will be a stronger motor than the K-series and that's actually a very cool thought.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
i didnt feel like reading threw all post but its pretty simple the civic was an economy car ment for good gas milage even the si was an econmy car with a bit more of a sporty feel to it. and integra was a sports car ment to be quick and sporty thus the reason they put biger motors in them. they also put stronger internals in them. look at a d16 and a b16 rod next to each other the b-series will be noticably beefier.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts