Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
It would probably be similar to what you see with Vitara pistons.
If theres no detonation just abotu any piston should be able to take quite a lot of power.

Ive always wondered why you dont see people running stock pistons with aftermarket rods. Its pretty common with other cars when youre not looking for really low CR.

·
Banned
My car...
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would probably be similar to what you see with Vitara pistons.
If theres no detonation just abotu any piston should be able to take quite a lot of power.

Ive always wondered why you dont see people running stock pistons with aftermarket rods. Its pretty common with other cars when youre not looking for really low CR.
But aren't Vitara's a slightly stronger type of cast piston vs. OEM Honda pistons?
Coupled with the lower compression you typically get with them, they hold up better compared to OEM pistons, no?

I've heard of OEM b-series pistons killing ringlands, which is why I ask.

Probaby right around the time the rod detaches itself. Do you plan on running stock rods?
Not stock D-series rods, but they might be stock OEM rods for another car (B18A/B).

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
I've heard of OEM b-series pistons killing ringlands, which is why I ask.

Same goes for the d-series piston. That is the weak link right there. The norm seems to be around 200-240ish whp before the ringlands give way. That and the rods :p

·
Registered
too many
1,582 Posts
Same goes for the d-series piston. That is the weak link right there. The norm seems to be around 200-240ish whp before the ringlands give way. That and the rods :p
As we know a tune is everything had a friend with a 99Si B16 and greddy kit tuned 300WHP 70k miles before he needed a new head gasket.(Stock head bolts)

·
Formerly 95RedVXCivic
95 VX, 88 S/C MR2
862 Posts
Im not so sure that would happen without the presence of detonation.
i had a del sol si that i blew the ringlands on and put two rods through the block, no turbo either, 100% stock, and wasn't turning but 7k when it happened. stock rods and pistons suck imho, as well as cast pistons. op, i wouldn't run stock rods and pistons if you are worried about them letting you down.

·
Registered
same
1,624 Posts
wait, so what stock rods are you planning on using if not D series?

NOBODY knows the limits of the stock pistons, but i'll tell you its atleast 300whp with the right tune, probably alot more. the weak link is the tuner and the rods/bolts.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
i had a del sol si that i blew the ringlands on and put two rods through the block, no turbo either, 100% stock, and wasn't turning but 7k when it happened. stock rods and pistons suck imho, as well as cast pistons. op, i wouldn't run stock rods and pistons if you are worried about them letting you down.
I rev the piss outta my del sol si almost every weekend. Over 250 passes on the stock bottom end.

As stated, its all to do with the tune. You can frag a forged piston with bad tuning as well.

·
Formerly 95RedVXCivic
95 VX, 88 S/C MR2
862 Posts
I rev the piss outta my del sol si almost every weekend. Over 250 passes on the stock bottom end.

As stated, its all to do with the tune. You can frag a forged piston with bad tuning as well.
no need for a tune on a completely stock engine, at least not for 7k rpm. and by no need, i mean it isn't necessary, of course it would benefit it though.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
no need for a tune on a completely stock engine, at least not for 7k rpm. and by no need, i mean it isn't necessary, of course it would benefit it though.
My top end is far from stock. And is tuned well. Shifted at 8k.
And I dont think this thread is much about stock motors revved to 7k

·
Registered
406 Posts
Why would you go to the trouble of replacing your rods and not putting in new pistons while you're at it?

Is this a budget build or a theoretical question?

·
Banned
My car...
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why would you go to the trouble of replacing your rods and not putting in new pistons while you're at it?

Is this a budget build or a theoretical question?
Theoretical Budget Build. Just toying with ideas (as always).

Why spend $200+ on rods and $400+ on pistons if you only want ~200whp (but 'massive' torque)?

LS Rods machined to fit PLR/PLM pistons and a D17 crank = Cheap bottom end that'll hold more than the stock D17 rods and should be safe for a -small- turbo based build.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Theoretical Budget Build. Just toying with ideas (as always).

Why spend $200+ on rods and $400+ on pistons if you only want ~200whp (but 'massive' torque)?

LS Rods machined to fit PLR/PLM pistons and a D17 crank = Cheap bottom end that'll hold more than the stock D17 rods and should be safe for a -small- turbo based build.
Theyve (stock d16 pistons) have held up to that much power on countless stock bottom end builds.

You should be researching the d17 crank/rods/d16 piston combo lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts