Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
depends who you ask.....i have a 76mm stock sleeve bore with wiseco's boosted on 13psi no probs
but aalride will say like 80 mm dont listen to him unless you want a grenade for an engine!

·
Registered
676 Posts
I think you should do 81mm. I did 80mm, one month and still no problems. The only thing i´m having a problem with is oil filter blew twice, and my oil pan gasket is getting squished out. But I know what´s causing those problems. Bad PCV valve, and 2 nutz on my pump. I´ve heard of sleeper D´s with 81mm bores out in Cali, Here is a 79mm on a D

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
There are, reputedly, a few DD 80mm blocks out there. However, this only leaves you with 4mm between cylinders. (The bore spacing on all D-series engines is 84mm, IIRC, or 3.307".)

However, I will never personally go over 78mm. I prefer to have stronger sleeves than go for more displacement in that fashion. If you wish to have a big-bore D-series, I would recomend starting with an F-series engine and build that up. It's a SOHC, it's cheap, and it can yeild very surprising results. The only additonal expenses are a D2B swap kit and doing some fab work for a mount. If you do it right, it looks stock, but youa re starting out with a platform that will outrun just about anything D-series (B- or even K-, for that matter) for the same mods done.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
whats head gasket would someone need..??? i mean 75mm to even 78mm is pretty big change, and id imagine you wouldnt be able to use the same headgasket

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
some of use know the thickness of the sleeves and their makeup.

At 80mm you'll be into the alum casting. behind the steel sleeves.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Max Bore

76mm stock sleeve, 78mm sleeved
Here's the response I got from Exospeed regarding max bore on a Darton sleeved motor.

"should be able to bore 79mm. but if youre on a daily driven boosted setup, i wouldnt go over 77mm bore. "

Darton's web site indicates a max bore of 78mm for their D16 MID sleeves but doesn't qualify it by application.

whats head gasket would someone need..??? i mean 75mm to even 78mm is pretty big change, and id imagine you wouldnt be able to use the same headgasket
Cometic makes HGs up to a 79mm bore so that's what you would use. Custom size bores are also available.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts