Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
94 Del Sol si
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 Delsol, and it has a Power Steering Rack and it is leaking a lot of oil. I Looped the lines a few years ago and didn't like it very much, mainly because every bump I hit it would jerk the wheel around. So I went back to the power set up. I was wondering if the true manual racks were like that? Any insight from people that drove both set ups would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
The depowered rack only "jerked" around because there was no pressure in the system anymore. The rack guide was probably way out of adjustment too.

Manual racks will do the same thing if the guide isn't adjusted but they are way tighter and much easier to steer.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
This is true.. Any rut in the road will want the car to wander off, so you need to be attentive when driving.

True manual racks have less turns lock to lock then powered racks. If you want more steering response then a true manual swap should be done. But for simple DD, a de-powered rack has been fine for me.

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
is difficult to switch it but I prefer a manual rack. a looped rack will get some slop from my experiences

·
Registered
359 Posts
Integra rack vs DX civic..

The only time I prefered the power rack is when I'm trying to do a k turn or something. Road feel wise, my manual rack with bad tie rod ends and needing an alignment feels much better than a rebuilt teg rack. It just feels more direct

·
Registered
1988 Integra
156 Posts
I drive both and the manual rack is so much nicer because of the turn ratio. Both my power steering racks feel real nice though... Manual rack hard while drinking coffee in a parking lot, but sooo sweet during spirited driving.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Integra rack vs DX civic..

The only time I prefered the power rack is when I'm trying to do a k turn or something. Road feel wise, my manual rack with bad tie rod ends and needing an alignment feels much better than a rebuilt teg rack. It just feels more direct
Only applies to Eg's, if you want to do this in an Ek you will need to swap the subframe.

Also you can get a shorter LTL without a manual rack.

Steering Ratio

·
Registered
94 Del Sol si
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I do enjoy the P/S for auto-X, So I'll Probably just look into swapping an Integra rack in for the shorter lock to lock. Is that a direct bolt in to the delsol?

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
I drive both and the manual rack is so much nicer because of the turn ratio. Both my power steering racks feel real nice though... Manual rack hard while drinking coffee in a parking lot, but sooo sweet during spirited driving.
I cant even drink coffee in my civic with manual rack, B20 torque and useless cup holders.

Coffee is subject to highway use only!

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts

For the rest of the useless 96-00 users. Hit the clutch with a touch too much throttle and your drinks are on the floor! Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
94 Del Sol si
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It just acts as a bushing then?

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
Well I do enjoy the P/S for auto-X, So I'll Probably just look into swapping an Integra rack in for the shorter lock to lock. Is that a direct bolt in to the delsol?
a del sol vtec or 96/97 del sol si rack has the same ratios

·
Registered
94 Del Sol si
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My 94 Delsol si has the 3.6 lock to lock, it seems. The integra rack was 3.2 I read. So if I'm gonna replace it anyway, might as get the integra one. Does anyone know if the lines match up or if any changes need to be made?

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
My 94 Delsol si has the 3.6 lock to lock, it seems. The integra rack was 3.2 I read. So if I'm gonna replace it anyway, might as get the integra one. Does anyone know if the lines match up or if any changes need to be made?
Seriously. . All that time work and money for .4 ?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts