Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As above, ive done a lot of searching, a lot of people seem to have no regard for it due to its low power output but i love its quick spool and it has enabled me to annihilate a few mildly tuned b series.

The turbo needs a better manifold.

If anyone knows where i can purchase an off the shelf ss upgrade it will be here, is there any pattern of other turbo that's suits a td04

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
It is a T25 flange, which kinda limits the "off the shelf" options for the D series. You could get a T3 manifold and then get a T3 to T25 adapter. Or just have/DIY a manifold custom built.

·
Banned
17 Posts
I have used an ebay manifold for about 3000 miles now. NO issues! The gasket has even lasted this long. It was 40 bucks, so even if it does crack a month from now, just spend another 40. Log style for me

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
if you're using the greddy setup, the chief restriction isn't the manifold or the turbo, it's the cast elbow and 2.25" downpipe. You can port the elbow, and KTeller makes a 2.5" downpipe that bolts up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have already had a custom 2.5 downpipe installed, was just reading there that a t28 flange is same as t25 and td04 so that opens up another avenue.

·
Registered
133 Posts
From what I've read, not first hand experienced, the only manifolds people will trust that is "off brand" would be a cast iron manifold. Not a whole lot can go wrong with them.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I have already had a custom 2.5 downpipe installed, was just reading there that a t28 flange is same as t25 and td04 so that opens up another avenue.
Actually the Greddy 15g is a td04 turbo that has a T25 exhaust housing. The T25 flange is different from td04 flanges, the most common being DSM and WRX flanges.

A tubular ramhorn or "mini EL" manifold may offer gains of 10-20whp depending on your current power level, but shouldn't be your first change. The D16 isn't a magical unicorn by any means and won't respond that well to high-flow parts as much as will respond to increased boost. The best thing to do is get a 3 or 4 BAR map sensor and increase the boost to 15-20psi. If you have cast pistons and/or stock rods, neither extra boost nor a tubular manifold is recommended. The cast manifold & stock map sensor can allow for enough power overwhelm your engine's parts.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I whipped out air con three years ago, being from Europe it doesn't get as hot over here compared to America.

I have a 4 bar map sensor, but the greddy manifold and elbow us definetly holding back my power after 5500rpm, in going purchasing a cast ebay manifold with longer runners and a get a stainless steel elbow manufactured to replace the useless cast elbow so that i can at least see 1 bar being extracted from this little 15g rather than the current 0.7bar.

I understand yes build engine for more power but at the moment this is not an issue

·
Registered
753 Posts
I would vote to go bigger on the exhaust,

I have T25 and couldn't make over 10psi on my first exhaust (2.5"), cut muffler off and saw the 15psi that I wanted.

Finally got tired of the drone on the highway and went 3" all the way w/ 2 long glass packs, have seen over 20psi ( but keep it a 15psi). It gave me better spool and better top end.
( sitting at 250hp right now from the small T25!)

I'm using a t2 cast mani too(ebay special)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts