Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone haxored my pics just like Paris Hilton

Now I have to post em

This is the progress on a mani I am working on. Not for my car.

If you were a d series head flange, this is what you'd see as of now

If you were a civic radiator this is what you'd see

And a couple shots of some tig action.

Thats all for now folks!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i cant take credit on the tigging guys. all that goes to a guy at work who is welding it up for me.

im pretty good with a mig doing tack welds tho ;)

·
Registered
784 Posts
too hot. This is schedule 10/40 SS304 right? If so be prepared to lay two beads. Its relatively thick stuff and laying one bead and getting full penetration will result in dark welds like that.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looks good!!

What size primaries are you using??

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bigwig said:
too hot. This is schedule 10/40 SS304 right? If so be prepared to lay two beads. Its relatively thick stuff and laying one bead and getting full penetration will result in dark welds like that.
it is fully penetrated, the beads arent dark tho, its just that im using my camcorder to take stills and they dont come out. they look more like a bronzeish color with some blueing around them

the piping is SS304 schedule 10, using 308 stainless tig rod

size is 1.5" but the actual dimensions are really 1.9 out and 1.682 in.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FooK said:
Good size, should make good mid/top end power!!

Take some picks when your done with it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
FooK said:
it is fully penetrated, the beads arent dark tho, its just that im using my camcorder to take stills and they dont come out. they look more like a bronzeish color with some blueing around them

the piping is SS304 schedule 10, using 308 stainless tig rod

If you are getting full penetration that means you are back purging im assuming? If you arent, you might be better off just doing 80% penetration because with 100% and no argon sheilding you will get crusties on the back of your welds.

Also the welds are too hot. you can see in the color in the weld they are dark and not golden. Increase your flow rate to about 25, lower your amerage and slow down.

As I said before run two beeds. Running one will require a high amperage(probably around 125 amps) and cause it to be dark like that. Running two beads will allow you to run about 60-70 amps on each pass and allow the color to come out.

If you go on the honda-tech welding forum(the only thing worth reading on that site anymore) you will probably hear similar things out of those guys. Just take a piece of scrap and try it out. If it works better, great, if it doesnt, dont do it.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bigwig said:
If you are getting full penetration that means you are back purging im assuming? If you arent, you might be better off just doing 80% penetration because with 100% and no argon sheilding you will get crusties on the back of your welds.

Also the welds are too hot. you can see in the color in the weld they are dark and not golden. Increase your flow rate to about 25, lower your amerage and slow down.

As I said before run two beeds. Running one will require a high amperage(probably around 125 amps) and cause it to be dark like that. Running two beads will allow you to run about 60-70 amps on each pass and allow the color to come out.

If you go on the honda-tech welding forum(the only thing worth reading on that site anymore) you will probably hear similar things out of those guys. Just take a piece of scrap and try it out. If it works better, great, if it doesnt, dont do it.
As I said before

FooK said:
i cant take credit on the tigging guys. all that goes to a guy at work who is welding it up for me.

im pretty good with a mig doing tack welds tho ;)
reading owns you.

I'm not going to get alot of time out of the guy. I am not trying to make it look pretty. It will hold together just fine, and thats all that really matters.

·
Registered
784 Posts
1) your post says "Manifold I am building (sneak peak pics)" and then the first post is pictures of the welds. Sorry I didnt bother to read the next 6 posts of useless garbage

2) If you arent welding it, how do you know if it got full penetration? The only way i know to check if you get full penetration is an xray machine or to cut the pipes in half and check the back side to make sure it was welded all the way through. Have you done either?

3) You posted this on a forum about tech. If you want some to ooh and ahh over a TIG welded manifold you are kidding yourself. You're lucky you got constructive critism vs posts of nothingness. It doesnt help anyone to say "OMG thats sooooo nice" if you see flaws in the product.

4) With welding it takes a similar amount of time to do things the right way as the not so right way.

I dont see what i said was offensive or anything to post anything except "thank you for the advice" If you dont want feedback, crawl in a hole and never show anything to anyone. If you want to post pictures on the internet, expect feedback of the negative and postive.

·
Registered
Donkey
742 Posts
Yeah im with bigwig on this.

What he says is true. You can sand back a rusted EH shell, bog it and paint it to make it look good, but underneath its still going to be a non stable rustbucket that is susceptable to cracking if its pushed or jolted.

The same is said for welds, they can look pretty, but pretty dosnt meant 100% penetration. So what wiggy has gone ahead and pointed out to you, was that you should double up, just to be sure because you have NO way of telling wether you have complete penetration or not.

Flaming is for haters. Wig knows what hes on about, so id go ahead and listen to the wealth info that 'some' of the forum members have. Remember youre a nOOB. And wether you have knowledge or not, to us here, yourew still a nOOB.

no anger........

P_Si

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Photonic_Si said:
Yeah im with bigwig on this.

What he says is true. You can sand back a rusted EH shell, bog it and paint it to make it look good, but underneath its still going to be a non stable rustbucket that is susceptable to cracking if its pushed or jolted.

The same is said for welds, they can look pretty, but pretty dosnt meant 100% penetration. So what wiggy has gone ahead and pointed out to you, was that you should double up, just to be sure because you have NO way of telling wether you have complete penetration or not.

Flaming is for haters. Wig knows what hes on about, so id go ahead and listen to the wealth info that 'some' of the forum members have. Remember youre a nOOB. And wether you have knowledge or not, to us here, yourew still a nOOB.

no anger........

P_Si
well both of you can think what you want. I am not shooting for "Karma points". The goal of the thread was to show people in more details how to do this shit. I never wanted any ooh or ahh from anyone for the welds. Pictures often help people moreso. I know myself I am more of a seeing it done sort of learner.

bigwig said:
1) your post says "Manifold I am building (sneak peak pics)" and then the first post is pictures of the welds. Sorry I didnt bother to read the next 6 posts of useless garbage

2) If you arent welding it, how do you know if it got full penetration? The only way i know to check if you get full penetration is an xray machine or to cut the pipes in half and check the back side to make sure it was welded all the way through. Have you done either?

3) You posted this on a forum about tech. If you want some to ooh and ahh over a TIG welded manifold you are kidding yourself. You're lucky you got constructive critism vs posts of nothingness. It doesnt help anyone to say "OMG thats sooooo nice" if you see flaws in the product.

4) With welding it takes a similar amount of time to do things the right way as the not so right way.

I dont see what i said was offensive or anything to post anything except "thank you for the advice" If you dont want feedback, crawl in a hole and never show anything to anyone. If you want to post pictures on the internet, expect feedback of the negative and postive.
bigwig said:
you said yourself running them hot and getting full penetration results in dark welded, so which is it? Also its pretty easy to look into the piping and see that the welds were coming through the other side.

bigwig said:
I never took offense to anything you said. I think it was misconstrued as to what I was trying to say. I was trying to keep my remarks upbeat and light on the mood. If they came off as otherwise, it was unintentional.

Personally looking at what I am building and holding it in my hands I don't believe I have any reason to feel that it will not be completely strong enough to hold 100%. And like I said I cannot get these perfect and lay double welds and such if I am not doing it myself. Honestly the guy at work that did it is a bit of a lazy bastard and I can't get much of anything out of him. I do however plan on taking some community college style welding courses myself and eliminating the middle man.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts