Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking into making my own manifold, and had a couple questions

should i use schedule 10 or sch. 40 pieces? stainless or would mild steel be alright? i'm going to be mig welding it, so are there any pointers you guys have? thank you

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
sch 10 is fine imho. I would go with stainless unless you get a smokin deal on mild and dont mind rust (or coating it). What sort of manifold are you planning on making? Do you have a chopsaw or bandsaw? My only tip is to crunch the pipes to match the flange using a big vise with wood or cardboard on the jaws so they dont fuck up your pipes (and use a big pipe on the handle to make it easier)

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was going to try and make my own mini-ram, and i was leaning more towards stainless. will there be any downsides to mig welding it?

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Take pics, make a DIY:TU:

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
If you're proficinet at MIG welding, then I'm sure you're got it under control. I've heard the term "back-purging"...if that strickly for TIG or MIG as well? Definitely something to try doing if so.

·
Premium Member
A lot
2,028 Posts
If you go the SS route, I would definitely backpurge to prevent the sugaring effect (itll be pretty difficult to grind that shit down in a mini ram). And no, backpurging is used for all weld processes. It depends on the material you are working with, and what you are building/thickness.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
^Cool, as you can see I'm a welding noob. Wish my father had passed down his welding skilz and his Miller TIG to me!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Has anyone here tried oxy acetylene welding up a mild steel Turbo manifold? Would there be any disadvantages? I'm thinking oxy acetylene because I would have more control than you would with the mig and don't have access to a tig

·
Registered
honda cbr600rr
35 Posts
I would just get a ss mig wire and purge the manifold with argon. that would be strong enough. oxy/ace welding mild steel would be stronger than mig due to the complete penetration of the weld. Mig is just a metal caulking gun so to speak, it fills in the gaps but it doesnt penetrate as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.