Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before I begin I do not encourage buying Ebay turbos or turbo parts. NOW those of you who have had good luck with ebay turbos what did you do besides just bolting it on and going to make it last? I had an brand new ebay turbo a long time ago but never used it. I took it to a turbo shop and he tore it apart and looked it over. He said the only thing he saw wrong with it was that it wasnt clean(sand in it) and it wasnt balanced well at all. He cleaned and balanced it however I never ran it and ended up selling it so I dont know how it did. Anyone make theirs last?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
i used to have one. i rebuilt it with garret seals and a new thrust washer and it didnt seem to have any problems. i also checked into upgrading one to a true garrett, but alot of the ppl who do this dont like ebay turbo cases to do the work. im assuming that it is the fact that it is alot smaller than they say it is and comverting it is harder. i asked brian nichols owner of bnrsupercars about it since he rebuilds them.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ive used both the real garrett gt42 and an ebay gt42 on my AWD DSM and actually had better luck out of the Ebay version... Reason being nobody wanted to steal it... LOL That sucked so bad to walk outside and find my hood up on my talon with NO TURBO... After buy the Ebay gt42 and re-tuning and installing a smaller oil restrictor, I never had any problems out of the turbo and ran it for 20k miles beating the hell out of it... Power was good, spool up was better than the actual garrett and hp levels were the same... All in all I was impressed with the big turbo... It even held up well when running nitrous to spool it on launch quite well...

·
Registered
293 Posts
678.6 hp to the wheels 590 trq... It was an axle breaking beast... Not to mention my pocket book... After I broke the 4bolt axle swap for the 3rd time I decided to get rid of the car and parted it out... Kinda miss it to be honest... Just dont miss working on it all the time...

Not all of the Ebay turbos are bad... But alot of them are... Before purchasing them you have to research, research, research or you will be sorry...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I currently just put one on my civic, it seems ok but only time will tell. Its too damn big thats for sure. But spools up nicely and doesnt seem to have a problem yet. My buddy also put one on his wrx and put a thousand miles on it before he put boost to it. Hes had good luck with his for awhile now.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
I've read a few things:
- Run a oil restricter or you'll blow seals.
- Rebuilding with good internals actually helps (but then why not buy a real used one and rebuild?).
- Some people have split the housings in half.
- It's all hit and miss anyways.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know a guy that ran a ebay turbo on his Eagle Talon for a few years. It actually still runs but his frame is broke.

·
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1
560 Posts
Im running this turbo with function7 oil restrictor which is some thing like .063 i believe. I heard people having decent luck with CXracing parts so i gave it a try, itys only been on for maybe a month but everythings going good so far. Nice fast spool and good power, making 201 on my current setup but it will get more later so well see how it does, a user on here "idealone" i believe used the same one for like 2 years with very good luck and performance with it, what he said is on my profile wall if you wana check it out.

T3 T4 T04E Turbocharger .63 A/R Turbo CIVIC New Design - eBay (item 380151563313 end time Feb-13-11 02:51:59 PST)

Function7 Turbocharger Hardware and Accessories | Function7 Engineering

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Yea, I had good luck with mine. I either over spooled it, or there was some water contamination in the oil. Thrust bearing finally went, and it self clearanced the wheel on the housing.

I figure it was good for about 20, maybe 25 psi. But I need more power, so Im now going with a GT35 eBay turbo. Hoping that can make 450ish, but we shall see.

As far as making them last, I just slapped mine on, and went. Ill do the same this time around.

·
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1
560 Posts
Yea, I had good luck with mine. I either over spooled it, or there was some water contamination in the oil. Thrust bearing finally went, and it self clearanced the wheel on the housing.

I figure it was good for about 20, maybe 25 psi. But I need more power, so Im now going with a GT35 eBay turbo. Hoping that can make 450ish, but we shall see.

As far as making them last, I just slapped mine on, and went. Ill do the same this time around.
did you run a restrictor?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sounds like some of them do ok for a $150 turbo. Ill buy one for my first build

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Yea, I ran a restrictor. Whatever came with my ebay line kit years agon

·
Registered
271 Posts
why don't these come with oil restrictors if they're so important? Think companies would start catching on....

·
Certified O.G.
5,605 Posts
why don't these come with oil restrictors if they're so important? Think companies would start catching on....
Easy.

Why sell a product that is gonna last to people that don't know any better? Might as well sell a shit product so the buyer will keep having to buy more. Damn marketing schemes.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts