1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Make your own Ethanol to fuel your car

Thought some of you DIY'ers would like this

A link to all his videos about ethanol. Including a video on how to make ethanol from apples

Seems like a legit book on the subject:

Anybody thinking of doing this Safety first! high proof alcohol is very flammable

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
The permit used to be $100 and a small amount (5%) is allowed for consumption, but that was 30+ years ago.

But, you'd best have a farm or be a teacher to get approved. Even just a display still needs a permit and will be visited by the Feds daily to make sure none is being consumed.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Permit is free if you plan to use the ethanol/ethyl alcohol exclusive for fuel use (that means you have to denature it and can't be 200 proof). E100 is damn near impossible to store cause it absorbs moisture from the air which knocks the proof down, it is also illegal if you don't have the correct ATF permit. This is why the highest ethanol you see a lot is E98

http://www.ttb.gov/forms/f511074.pdf

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title26/pdf/USCODE-2011-title26-subtitleE-chap51-subchapB-sec5181.pdf

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Does the S300 offer flex sensor input?

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Does the S300 offer flex sensor input?
From what I've gathered, You can tune for ethanol on Hondata as long as you have a wideband... A/F Ratio: 9:1

I mean people are tuning for E85 on Hondata, so why not E95.. (95% Ethanol: 5% water) *edit not actually called E95

Maybe It would require an AEM EMS....

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
From what I've gathered, You can tune for ethanol on Hondata as long as you have a wideband... A/F Ratio: 9:1

I mean people are tuning for E85 on Hondata, so why not E95.. (95% Ethanol: 5% water)

Maybe It would require an AEM EMS....
E95 isn't 95% ethanol 5% water, its 5% gas. You don't want water in it. If you research some people will bend in additives that will help remove water. To be legal you have to denature the ethanol (make it unsuitable for human consumption)

New features of S300 version 3

• Ethanol content sensor support
  • Bluetooth technology for laptop programming/datalogging and mobile datalogging
  • 2-4 times faster datalogging
  • CAN output
  • Serial output for dashboards like the AiM MXL and Racepak IQ3
Source
Awesome that makes it easy, that will allow all the different blends to be ran and tune correct

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
E95 isn't 95% ethanol 5% water, its 5% gas. You don't want water in it. If you research some people will bend in additives that will help remove water. To be legal you have to denature the ethanol (make it unsuitable for human consumption)
No, If you get a permit and make your own Ethanol... then it is often 95% ethanol 5% water (Moonshine)

I know that you have to have 100% ethanol to mix with gas

I want to make my own 95% Ethanol and not mix with gas

This source says you can run on straight moonshine and there is no need to mix with gas; (paragraph 5 column 2)

I shouldn't have said E95 above.. I meant 95% Ethanol; I changed it above on post #14

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Corolla
272 Posts
Also if you plan to store it in a metal drum, put the drum on a wood pallet and not just on the concrete. Will help prevent water getting in.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
No, If you get a permit and make your own Ethanol... then it is often 95% ethanol 5% water (Moonshine)

I know that you have to have 100% ethanol to mix with gas

I want to make my own 95% Ethanol and not mix with gas

This source says you can run on straight moonshine and there is no need to mix with gas; (paragraph 5 column 2)

I shouldn't have said E95 above.. I meant 95% Ethanol; I changed it above on post #14
If you read the permit and law I posted, you have to denature it. It can't be straight.

The only REAL reason to mix it with gas, is to keep water out of it, that's it. Because if you make large quantities and store it, water WILL get it in. How do i know? About 40 gallons of methanol we stored had algae in it lol. But that was after a LONG time sitting.

Also if you plan to store it in a metal drum, put the drum on a wood pallet and not just on the concrete. Will help prevent water getting in.
The REAL reason to mix gas with it is to denature it, that's it. But guess what is added to gasoline to absorb water? .....You guessed it alcohol

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Is it legal?

That site has some really good info, click some of his links. Very informative page

1 - 20 of 49 Posts