Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, that page for the wideband has a wealth of information on other subjects. One of them is making your own Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor. It's pretty damn simple...

http://www.megasquirt2.com/PWC/tc.htm
 

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
Joined
·
2,158 Posts
pretty damn simple for you tech wizards i suppose

i took one look at that webpage and said fuck it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, just have to look past all the equations and realize that all you have to do is buy a certain type of wire for the temperature sensing element, get a ceramic insulator to put it in, and buy more wire to use as a leads for the sensor. That's it... stick it in your exhaust gas and it will generate a voltage. There's a table that tells you what temperature corresponds to what voltage. At the very least all you need is a voltmeter in the car to look at while you're tuning using the EGT sensor.
 

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
Joined
·
2,158 Posts
makku's cliff notes= some type of understanding for the people like me

thanks for the short and sweet...the wire generates a voltage automatically because of heat or because of the type of gas that passes in your exhaust??? a certain type of metal wire??? or copper, stainless, anything would work??? interesting idea...seems like it might still be difficult to pull of and actually get acurate measurements...id still be scared id fuck something up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
well, the wire is made of a special material. You fuse the two pieces of wire together and it makes a special contact that is sensitive to temperature. Very simple tool used in lots of scientific instruments... it's called a thermocouple. It's pretty damn accurate too for the temperature ranges you're measuring.

The only thing you have to worry about is heat going through the wires coming out of your sensor. Ceramic doesn't conduct heat very well, so the only thing that would is the wire itself. But then the website tells you what kind of wire to buy... it's thermally insulated.

Ok, then... I'm going to build one myself. If it works out well, I'll make more :)

edit: well, you do have to drill a hole into your exhaust manifold. That would be the only scary thing for me

edit2: here's how sensitive the thing is:
a K type thermocouple (which is made of a nickel-chromium/nickel-aluminum junction, called Chromel/Alumel) puts out a signal of 12.2 millivolts at 300°C. Sensitivity is approx 41uV/°C.
 

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
Joined
·
2,158 Posts
makku said:
Ok, then... I'm going to build one myself. If it works out well, I'll make more :)
thats what i wanted to hear!!!
hope it goes well..keep us posted...i would be interested in one considering im sure itd be much cheaper from you than most available from the performance automotive industry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so far looking good... seems like I can make a decent sensor with like 6' of steel braided cable for like $25-30. As for the gauge and the unit to convert the voltage signal... we shall see. Still researching.
 

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
Joined
·
25,544 Posts
makku said:
so far looking good... seems like I can make a decent sensor with like 6' of steel braided cable for like $25-30. As for the gauge and the unit to convert the voltage signal... we shall see. Still researching.
it might come out cheaper to buy one for $40 from summit
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
ill just buy a wideband and a monitor and not go through all that.. but its pimp that people can do that and get it to work right..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ryan89crx said:
it might come out cheaper to buy one for $40 from summit
good find... hopefully, they are thermocouples and not the other type of temp sensor.

I guess the expensive part is the controller... greddy gauges are like $200 i think. They come with the electronics inside the gauge. Fortunately, the electronics to read the sensor are easy... gotta find a good way to display the output cheaply.

I don't know if the cheap sensor on summit is steel braided... gotta make it as pimp as possible :)
 

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
Joined
·
25,544 Posts
makku said:
good find... hopefully, they are thermocouples and not the other type of temp sensor.

I guess the expensive part is the controller... greddy gauges are like $200 i think. They come with the electronics inside the gauge. Fortunately, the electronics to read the sensor are easy... gotta find a good way to display the output cheaply.

I don't know if the cheap sensor on summit is steel braided... gotta make it as pimp as possible :)
this stuff is way over my head. you're just too smart for me makku
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top