Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 92 cx hatch, with a d16z6, p28 ecu, manual

Recently, my cel has been coming on and off and i've been unable to read a code since it never stays on long enough. so last night my car started idle surging. It only starts that surging about 5 mins after start up, or until it gets warmed up. This wasnt a major concern, i figured it might be something like the O2 sensor, but then my temperature gauge started going nuts and when i finally got to school, the gauge was pegged to the full temperature, and when i popped the hood, the engine was steaming a bit, and smelled like something was burning. (other than the fuel obviously). the exhaust smelled terrible. I'm still at school so i couldnt look into it at all, had to get to class. Could this possibly be a blown head gasket? If so, i'll have to replace it tonight because this is my dd, i need this car to get to school everyday. Any other ideas would be very helpful.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yep.... You guessed it. Sounds like a blown head gasket... is there a lot of white smoke coming out the ass end? Open the oil cap and peer inside w/ a flashlight, if anti freeze is in there you'll know it. But whatever you do don't drive it, or you'll warp the head from being overheated... There's still a slight chance you caught it in time. Slight.

·
Registered
63 Posts
yeah that was my thought exactly... dang it i dont wanna pay to have it towed home, though i might have AAA with my uncle still... i'll have to check.

i looked in the overflow, didnt see much, but i couldnt remove the rad cap and didnt have a flashlight to look in the oil cap, yay for blown head gaskets haha

no AAA, i might be able to rent a trailor and tow it home myself for cheaper than a tow truck would cost.

·
Registered
517 Posts
^ what he said....This is where a friend w/ a truck & a chain comes in handy....

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
have you done any wiring around your MAP sensor? check to make sure the plug is in all the way.

(but that wouldnt make the temp gauge go nuts.... hmm i should read more before i post.. whoops)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so i looked at it.... and i was out of rad fluid... i'm thinking i might have a leak in my lower hose and just lost all my fluid. i'm going to have to watch it real closely on the drive home.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Whoa dude! You'd better put some got damn water in there @ least.... if you can't get to autozone or walmart 2 buy some coolant....

Id still recommend letn somebody pull you 2 the crib.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my friend had coolant in his car, so we filled it up... i ran it for a bit and the surging stopped, i'm scared to drive it home... but might just go for it lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm guessing since while driving... the temp just suddenly spiked, i have a big leak somewhere, once i get it home i'm doing a tune up and i'll probably pick up some new rad tubes as well, just in case.

·
Registered
the short bus
1,065 Posts
the temperature was surging because there was no coolant. i had the same problem when i first rebuilt my motor. the only way i figured it out was because i had no heat.

throw some water in there just to get home. just dont let it sit over night with water in there because it will freeze and crack the radiator.

a nice trick with doing a headgasket is to ziptie the timing belt to the cam gear and just take off the cam gear instead of all the belts. itll save you lots of time.

·
Registered
517 Posts
the temperature was surging because there was no coolant. i had the same problem when i first rebuilt my motor. the only way i figured it out was because i had no heat.

throw some water in there just to get home. just dont let it sit over night with water in there because it will freeze and crack the radiator.

a nice trick with doing a headgasket is to ziptie the timing belt to the cam gear and just take off the cam gear instead of all the belts. itll save you lots of time.
Roger that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lesson learned...check your fluid levels weekly boys and girls!
+1,

lesson 2:

do not check fluid according to overflow tank... turns out my tube going into the actual reservoir was missing so the fluid in there could not get out anyway. the main reason i did that was because i couldnt check it hot, which is when i remembered, and would forget the next time i was getting into my car haha, oh well. i'm going to do a compression test this weekend to find the leak in my hoses, i think its on the way to the heater core is where its leaking. anyway, i dont think i drove long enough to warp the head bc things are running fine, going to do a tune up this weekend so i'll check everything out. might be picking up a zc motor possibly too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts