Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys.. I just got a decent offer on the built z6 I'm about to put in into my EK. And if I was to sell it I would go the way of boost.

Now.. I've done my research and I've been around Honda's for awhile.. so I'm no newbie, but I've never owned a boosted vehicle. So my question is.. how many times do you in counter problems with your engine (if any). I'm looking from anything small such as oil leaks to cracked blocks. If I was to boost it would be my STOCK d16y8 and I would tune it by purchasing a p28 ecu and chipping it.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
95 Civic COUPE!
414 Posts
ek_chris said:
I would tune it by purchasing a p28 ecu and chipping it.
Thanks in advance
u got to get some kind of tunning chiped ecu is not going to cut it man...you want the motor to last tunning is ure freind

Like anything u might encounter some issues but nothing major i had an oil leak and it was fixed the next day... b4 u get it tuned and start making some power figure out any issues you might have

Good luck on ure set up bro hope to see some good numbers

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Tuning is the key to sucess!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright.. maybe I will purchase hondata, crome or uberdata. I'll worry about that if I decide to go F/I. What I would like to know now is.. is a boosted stock y8 a realistic reliable daily driver? Some people tell me yes.. some say no. I would love to hear your guys input.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
ek_chris said:
alright.. maybe I will purchase hondata, crome or uberdata. I'll worry about that if I decide to go F/I. What I would like to know now is.. is a boosted stock y8 a realistic reliable daily driver? Some people tell me yes.. some say no. I would love to hear your guys input.
Yes they will be just fine! Tuning is Key once again. I would think about changing oil pump if any ..

·
Registered
201 Posts
my y8 has been boosted for 7 months now and i have had no problems at 4 psi, but running only 4 psi and being a boost freak u tend to turn it up and without the proper tuning and management i've had some problems! but like everyone else said, "TUNING IS YOUR FRIEND" good luck with the build!

·
Registered
649 Posts
If you doit right the first time like putting new gaskets and bolting up everything correctly you will have no problems whatsoever. But tunning is going to be a major issue if you decide to boost I will definitaly suggest using uberdata. I've had my boosted d16z6 for 3 months now running 8.5lbs and hitting boost almost daily (too many v8's LOL) i've had no problems whatsoever if you need some help tuning with uberdata pm me i'll help you.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the advice guys. With your help I decided what to do. I have a budget of $1800 CDN and I'm purchasing a built z6 block/head/ clutch/fly/P.P/IM TB for 1100$CDN. I will purchase a p28 +conv. harness and chip the ecu and hopefully ill be at 150whp maybe a bit more with a more aggressive tune.

Anyways.. over the course of next year I will then build my d16y8 (that i will be taking out of my car) for boost.. then I will hopefully be running a built y8 boosted by next spring.

Thanks for all the comments. It's truely appreciated

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic EX
491 Posts
Make sure you get some quality stuff when you go turbo, spend the extra cash to get the good shit, its well worth it in the long run. And like everyone else has said......get it tuned properly.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you guys are getting a little carried away in this thread. I asked if anything has ever broken down on you guys? And what was it that broken down.

I have been around honda engines for awhile, I do know how to properly turbo an engine. I just thought that chipping an ecu would be okay but I will now look into uberdata or hondata or even crome.

Let the thread continue.. has anything broken down on your boosted D?

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
the reason they push tuning so much is because it honestly does answer your question. 99% of failures and problems a boosted motor will run into is because of tuning. otherwise, there are no real problems that come with boosting alone.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what program do you guys recommend to use?

uberdata?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
can u guys explain to me how a management such as uberdata operates? I'm such a n00b when it comes to tuning. I've always built NA motors so never really bothered with researching it (i just chipped my ecu).

I tried researching and all I could come up with is that uberdata can control everything. But can't chipping an ecu do the samething? I usually get it dyno-tuned so wouldn't chipping my ecu just be as easy then using a product such as uberdata? I realize if I was to change my psi. i would have to re-tune or change the program. But wouldn't it be good if my psi was set?

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts