Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
90 SI Hatch, 93 EJ1
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a DOHC ZC. I bought ACL Race main and rod bearings for it. I used plasiguage on the rods they were fine but the mains were way to freakin tight. they are standard size bearings. tourqing the mains to 46ft lbs what the d16a1 called for should be the same for the zc but i cant even turn the engine over. any thoughts. I think that somebody put the wrong main bearing cap on the bottom of the engine. Is there a way to fix the issue? thanks in advance.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
did you even plastigauge? or did you just hope they would be fine?

if they are too tight, you need new bearings

·
Registered
90 SI Hatch, 93 EJ1
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the bearings are standard size. the plastiguage wmeasured about .002mm which is way too tight.

·
Registered
90 SI Hatch, 93 EJ1
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what ever plasti gauge comes up with, did you do plasti gauge with teh bearigns OUT, and your tq down the caps and then pull the caps off and mesure
i can do that when i get home but when i look at the listings for new bearings see std 10 and 20. wont 10 and 20 be even Tighter?

·
Registered
968 Posts
get OEM Honda bearings of the correct colors to match the codes on the block and crankshaft

torque for mains on DOHC ZC is 49 ft lbs - rods is 24 ft lbs

·
Registered
90 SI Hatch, 93 EJ1
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes, becouse if the crank has been machined they you need larger bearings.
STD bearings are for stock cranks that have not been machine due to rod or main failure
i bought std bearings i havent done anything to the crank so they should be the correct bearings i will measure the mains again tonight when i get home from work without bearings in and ill take pics. and ill measure with the bearings in and ill post it up.

·
Registered
90 SI Hatch, 93 EJ1
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
get OEM Honda bearings of the correct colors to match the codes on the block and crankshaft

torque for mains on DOHC ZC is 49 ft lbs - rods is 24 ft lbs
all i use this car for is autocrossing and i push it really hard i need race bearings. i need to find the correct size in race bearings.

·
Registered
968 Posts
OEM specs for DOHC ZC main bearing clearances:

journals 1,2,4 and 5 = 0.024mm-0.042mm - 0.0010"-0.0017"

journal 3 = 0.030mm-0.048mm - 0.0012"-0.0019"

·
Registered
30 Posts
hey I got the same problem with the bearings, I did buy a crank shaft kit that comes with rod bearings and main bearings and a crank shaft. I tq down the rod bearings they move just fine but when I finish torquing the main bearings they were very tight @ 46ft, and this kit is for a 88-91 SI? on the SI calls for one piece cap assembly @33ft-lbs. wich I dont know what to do.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts