Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Magnetic Fuel saver.Horrible Gas Mileage

Ok, I've been looking on ebay at these magnets that you hook up to your fuel line to supposedly help increase fuel economy. My fuel economy sucks big right now. I don't know what it is. I am getting around 22 mpg In my Civic hb DX (d15b7). I got 16x7 motegis so they arent that heavy, lighter than steelies. I got a short ram intake, and an aftermarket exhaust with 2 1/4" piping from the cat. I just had to replace the fuel pump and cleaned the entire fuel system, new filter cleaned injectors etc. Well There is no way in hell i should be getting such poor gas mileage. I do have a sub, but I've had it out and no change in mpg. I really don't drive it hard, I'll go up to 3 1/2k max unless i am racing, which doesnt happen that often. I am looking for anyway to get my MPG up cause I am getting tired of having to put gas in this stupid car ever 100 miles, about half a tank. So, does anyone have experience with this sort of add on. Do they really work? I mean, I could see how it could work, but IT also could be like one of those Tornado things...
Super gas saver

Any reply on how to get my MPG up or any info/input on this device will be greatly appreciated

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a noob, I don't know where to look to find the cels... sorry, its flame worthy i know...

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
no, you have to start somewhere. it's better to fix a problem than bandaid it.

CEL = CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

is it on?

what year is your car? what ecu are you using with your motor?

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, ...oops sorry, um No I am not getting a check engine light. It is a 93 Dx HB, The motor/tranny is all stock internally and the only upgrades i have are whats listed up top, so the stock ECU. Sorry, I am really really new to this. I'd like to learn. I just need help figuring out why my car is getting such poor mpg.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is your car idling high? Have you messed with the timing? Have you done a tune-up lately? What do your spark plug like?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Holy crap, here we go...

Dirty air filter?
Properly inflated/balanced/aligned wheels/tires?
What width tires? ie, 185,195,205
Check plugs/wires/cap/rotor?
Missing any body panels/bumpers?

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just had it tuned by the local import shop, didn't change anything, Brand new FILTERS, the tires are are good, they were inspected at the shop, the pressure adjusted etc, the only thing it could be is the somthing with the ignition, but still, would plugs or timing make that big of a difference? I'll check em once i go back out.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Got an aftermarket header? If not, then you're still restricted by the stock header....

From what I've experienced, having JUST a short ram intake with no header completely KILLS your fuel mileage. At least it did on my car. I just put back the stock airbox with a K&N flat panel filter and I'm back up to 40 mpg or so.

I've read from other people's posts that they get good mileage, but all those have been people with the FULL intake/exhaust/header change. If you miss one piece then you've got a restriction. Try putting your stock airbox back on until you get a header...

your low end WILL improve... maybe not the top end, but it sounds like gas mileage is more important to you. It is to me...

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
21.. before that. I got a header, I just havent put it on yet, I need an impact wrench to get a few bolts off, but the shop said it would be 110 for labor, so i was like, i'll just wait till i can get some time with my bud's tools. I will try the stock airbox back on, I need to go buy a new filter for that tho if i do. I got a new cone filter, but not for the stocker. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. I know there are a lot of bits a pieces that comprise all the problems and that yall have no way of specifically telling me by just what i say. I know this, that is why I appreciate yalls help and input to help me. Thanks,
-Rit

·
Registered
946 Posts
all that stuff you did to clean the fuel system probably made no effect.

I don't get why people think unclogging a fuel system would LESSEN the ammount of fuel you're using.
It's pretty simple in my mind, a clogged system wont flow as well..
unclogging it can only serve to add more fuel

check ur ignition timing, and make sure all ur sensors are in good working order.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
don't forget to check brakes dragging, incorresct handbrake adjustment, tired wheel bearing and the like as well.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Filled up today had gone 110 miles on 5.53 gallons... that is like 19.9 mpg... this is seriously making me mad...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
damn, 360 miles on this tank, just got to 1/2 tank mark.

Guess you need to fix your car, not add on more bullshit!

CAm timing is at?
Ignition timning is at???
O2 sensor volatge is???
PCV valve was last changed when?????
Your driving style?????

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Heres why...

I will bet your overall tire diameter is larger than stock with 16x7's. You now get MORE rollout. Your speedo is off and you are actualy traveling slower than what it reads. You are also covering MORE miles than what the odo says. So how to get your mileage up more? Slap on some stock rims and stock diameter tires and cross reference the results. Its probably fine...

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
This one's for you, Duck.
Wait, what?
2,304 Posts
makku said:
Got an aftermarket header? If not, then you're still restricted by the stock header....

From what I've experienced, having JUST a short ram intake with no header completely KILLS your fuel mileage...
Interesting, I don't have a header (yet :p ) and my gas mileage went up substantially from what it was. I got at least an extra 25 miles to the tank. :?

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I totally did not think about the mileage vs tire size... yeah, the tires are bigger 205/45-16, but could it really be enough to take it down to a 19.9 mpg... thats a lot for tire differance?... Well thanks for all the input, I am gonna get new plugs and im waiting on the timing gun to check the timing. THanks for all the help. I guess this thread can be dead now. I appreciate all the help
-Rit

1 - 20 of 21 Posts