Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so my car has about 173k on it ( 1999 civic ex - d16y8 ). Don't think the tranny fluid has ever been changed lol.

But I'm looking into these so called magnetic drain plugs and I really wanna know if its worth it. At my mileage, could there possibly be downsides to using these? Do you think they would dislodge some gunk that may be holding some things together? I'm looking at getting both Tranny and Oil drain plugs from MFactory.

Need some serious input only please :D

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
I'd use one, just looking at the magnet inside my previous tranny would be reason enough to use one.........was totally covered in shavings....

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
If the plug pulls some metal shavings that were "holding" something together, you have more problems than just deciding on whether or not to use a magnetic drain plug.

No one on here seems to care too much about anything outside of the honda world, but every "race" motor I have seen has magnetic drain plugs on the oil pan and trans fluid pan.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
No one on here seems to care too much about anything outside of the honda world, but every "race" motor I have seen has magnetic drain plugs on the oil pan and trans fluid pan.
How can you say that? There are people on here that drive WRX's...last time i checked honda didnt make a WRX...

·
Registered
Honda Civic LX
402 Posts
hrmm i just changed my tranny fluid...my 2000 D16Y7..bought brand new by us..in 2000..so no previous owners...its tranny drain plug was magnetic from the HOnda...

let me tell u...the magnet had a SHITLOAD of iron shavings on it...when i first pulled the plug..i was like..>WTF???..i didint know the plug was magnetic..and it looke dall fucked b'cuz of all the sahvings...but i wiped it off..n damn...the whole napkin was black from the shavings it caught

i def plan on getting one for my oil pan now...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
must have been the day they left the magnets out of the tranny.........

Honda used to put two magnets on each holder, then later only one.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
every trans I have seen leaves a ton of crap on the plug after inital break-in. c4-c6-th350-glide. Its only like $10 more, why not have the extra insurance?

·
D-series WTF?!?!
Dyno GT Racing Bike
3,674 Posts
If ur low on $$$ u can pick them up at ur local parts store ex... Autozone murrays and lets not mention PEPBOYS thats a ricers wonderland and well they seem around or less then $5 and still do the trick man so PICK EM UP AND no ?'s ask they will extend the life of the motor and is healthy!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts