Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a quick question. I've spend about 3 hours today getting my exhaust done and after i got it all bent, welded, and hung it sounds beautiful, but loud as hell beacuse there wasn't a muffler. However we put a new magnaflow muffler on it and now it makes a raspy (pissed off bee) noise at around 3000rpm and in vtec (4600rpm- up)

p.s. this is an h22a4 if it helps ?

also its nice to be back on the d forum!

·
Registered
999 Posts
whats teh question?

but i have an idea what ur saying.. get a resonator welded on

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic
1,784 Posts
a resonator really helped with the raspiness i experienced with my car. It doesn't rasp at all even under WOT acceleration. this is with a Y7 though and not an H22.I used a Cherry bomb glasspack because it was cheap, it still sounds pretty good, but if you want to you could use a round canister magnaflow.

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
get a resonator welded on

i have magnaflow (OE style, painted balck) on my D... it has that bubbly, rumbly back-pressure sound (like an EVO or WRX... but i aint boosted) when i slow shif or downshift around 3200 rpm. its quiet at hi rpm but it rumbles at 3200... but i have I/H and straight pipe all the way back with a gutted out cat conv.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic
1,784 Posts
the sound the magnaflow makes when it shifts (i'm running a slushbox) is like pure sex, it has this subtle whoosh or booming sound. I am very happy with the tone of the magnaflow, it was very deep and rumbly at idle. Now that i have a resonator it is much more mellow until i jump on it.

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had a Magnaflow on my Focus (back in 2001), but it sounded great. I've always liked the sounds of Magnaflows on most cars.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the question is more geared toward how to get that raspy noise out because its annoying. the exhaust set up is a 4-2-1 header and 2.5" piping welded onto that then bent to the oem routing. so just get a resinator put in? could i use the one off my old exaust?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes, just get a resonator. Basically, you can go to your local muffler shop, and they'll weld in a new resonator. It'd probably be cheaper and easier to get a new one vs. taking the one off of your old exhaust. This should take away any of that raspyness. Worked on my cars.

·
Formerly weebeastie
962 Posts
<-- I have a magnaflow custom exhaust on mine

My 91 hatch has 2.25" pipes with a magnaflow resonator and magnaflow dual exit muffler. Its pretty quiet at idle and comes alive when I get on it without any "fart like" raspyness. I like the magnaflow resonator that I have and it sounds good. I'll let you all know how loud it gets when I add the Bisi level 2 cam'd/carb'd a6 sitting in the shop.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well instead of dropping the money into a magnaflow resinator would my stock cat. work in the same way? and take away my raspy rice? lol

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic
1,784 Posts
A cat will queit down some of the unwanted frequencies eveident in your system. If you are running catless, you should get a resonator. It quiets down the exhaust quite a bit.

·
Lurking... &#3232;_&#3232; In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
here is a better pic of mine

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts