Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, you might be interested in the mad tyte JDM all red taillights and wanna know how you can do it eh? This thread is for you! What are the red tails I speak of?

Materials Needed:
VHT Nite-Shades RED paint
Automotive spray clear coat
Masking tape
Razor knife/x-acto knife
Paint thinner/reducer or painting prep spray.
Paper towles/shop rags
8mm socket with ratchet(may need a 10mm socket to remove inners of 2-piece tails)

1. Remove your tail lights by removing the wiring connector clip and 4 8mm nuts holding the light in(may be more nuts if you have 2-piece tails... keep in mind this is on a Del Sol) I did not picture any of this... if you can not remove your own tail lights you have no need to be working on a car.

2. With the tail lights out, clean the lights with the paint reducer or prep spray to remove all the old grease, wax, and road dirt from the lense. I go back over with an amonia free glass cleaner. (not pictured)

3. Using the masking tape, tape over the reverse lights. Using your razor, carefully cut around the peremiter of the reverse light and remove excess material. You should have something that looks like this.

4. Now you're ready to begin painting. Shake your spray can for about a minute after the mixing ball moves freely. Apply 1 LIGHT coat of the VHT paint to the lense. Let dry for 10-15min

5. Apply one more light coat. If you have reached the desired red tint at this point you should let your lights sit and dry for about an hour. If you wish for them to be darker apply one more coat and let it dry for an hour. I would not suggest more than 3 coats otherwise the light may not be able go through the lense.

6. Now that the VHT paint has dried to the touch, carefully use the razor to get a corner of the masking tape up and remove the tape from the reverse lights. You may need to use the prep spray/thinner to remove any adhesive left by the tape and clean reverse light area. (not pictured)

7. Now you're ready to apply the clear coat. This keep the lense looking bright. VHT brand paint tends to fade and the clearcoat stops the fading and makes the paint pop. Apply 2-3 light coats of clear coat allowing 10-15min of dry time between coats. I'd suggest letting the paint cure overnight before handeling.

I'll have pics of mine when they are done drying enjoy!

Bling! They'll be going in the car tomorrow. I'm letting them cure tonight

EDIT: Here's a vid of them in daylight

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
In for results, was gunna paint the housing of the fronts but not sure about the rears.

·
Registered
92 eg
723 Posts
i used clearish red vinyl before but id like to see how this comes out i would think because your "painting it" the light would appear dimmer. get to work! and post results

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
VHT paint is like diluted spraypaint. I've never had any issues when I used the black nite shades. Again, use light coats. I do 2 coats max.

Bestpart is, if you F up and get it too dark, paint thinner will remove this stuff before it fully cures.

New pic up at the top

edit:
Here's my old hatch with black nite shades. 2 light coats
Night

Day

Went through 4 inspections with those lights and never failed. Police never screwed with me about them.... damn I miss that car

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
VHT is good stuff but it WILL fade eventually. I smoked a set of clear tail lights back in the day. They turned kinda purple like shitty window tint...lol Then again, I didn't clear it like you did. Looking good.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Sick. I may give this a try. rep'd

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I plan on doing this with the tails on my 94 Integra and after I lay some red I plan to use some regular night shades maybe a light coat or two. They turned out great OP!

You didn't scuff the surface up at all?

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I plan on doing this with the tails on my 94 Integra and after I lay some red I plan to use some regular night shades maybe a light coat or two. They turned out great OP!

You didn't scuff the surface up at all?
No sir, VHT sticks good so long all the wax, grease, and road dirt is removed. I cleaned them like 3 times. The only issue I see with a light scuffing is that this stuff is almost clear and I fear it may show the scuffs.

I have some old prelude tails somewhere... I may test this theory since one of them is broken

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
you need to post up daytime photos to show how much light actually gets through. of course the contrast at night will make it look like a lot of light is getting through, but then you see similar setups during the day and you can barely see the light.(usually on the full black out setups)

-Luke

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you need to post up daytime photos to show how much light actually gets through. of course the contrast at night will make it look like a lot of light is getting through, but then you see similar setups during the day and you can barely see the light.(usually on the full black out setups)

-Luke
Putting in a wheel bearing today and swapping out my rear speakers. Kind of cloudy out today but I'll try to get day pics

1 - 20 of 30 Posts