Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I wanted to get some opinions on machining the powersteering and AC sections off the OEM crank pulley? The bottom end will be getting balanced, and i don't believe the dampener is affected by machining off those two belt sections.

I'd prefer to buy an aftermarket solution, but the DOHC ZC has the largest alternator diameter and yields the best advantage when driving my JRSC (A regular D series crank pulley would under drive it).

Custom ATI options are expensive.

Any thoughts, experiences or alternatives?

Pic for attention, TIA

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Get it balanced afterwards and it'll be all good

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Purely for looks, no real performance gains.
It also makes installing/removing the engine a lot easier. I figure it'll be a similar principal to getting a lighter flywheel? less rotational mass would give an increase in response (if not power)?

Get it balanced afterwards and it'll be all good
Ta!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
take 12 lbs off the flywheel, farther distance from centerline makes centerline.

Taking maybe a pound off the crank pulley, close to the crank centerline = barely any change in MOI, Moment Of Inertia

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
It's hard to find a place that will mess with a crank pulley since it is rubber bonded (good) or solid and light and not worth doing since you need something to dampen the harmonic vibrations that occur when the engine is running. I'd suggest adding an ATI damper to the engine.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I cut mine off the F22A6 with an angle grinder and a 1/16th cutting disc, then cleaned it up nice and flush.

Ran it for over 30,000km with a balance shaft delete and never had a problem.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cut mine off the F22A6 with an angle grinder and a 1/16th cutting disc, then cleaned it up nice and flush.

Ran it for over 30,000km with a balance shaft delete and never had a problem.
Jesus haha. I would atleast get it balanced afterwards, if not for any tangible benefit... Just for peace of mind.

It's hard to find a place that will mess with a crank pulley since it is rubber bonded (good) or solid and light and not worth doing since you need something to dampen the harmonic vibrations that occur when the engine is running. I'd suggest adding an ATI damper to the engine.
I called ATI, but they don't do an off the shelf D series crank pulley that doesn't underdrive the alternator (and my supercharger). It would work, but i would lose maybe 4psi. They do custom pulleys, but they're $$$$$$$$$$$

The rubber bonded side looks like it's only on the engine side (the side that doesn't get shaven). I might get a spare one and give it a crack.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Jesus haha. I would atleast get it balanced afterwards, if not for any tangible benefit... Just for peace of mind.

Not a bad idea at all. Hehe. Just wanted to share what I experienced to hopefully help out.

But yeah, not a bad idea. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts