Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Integra
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just dropped my block and head off as well as one vitara piston

im worried though so if someone can help me out possibly before the work is over

he was saying that the P2W is set on the piston or something and i just stuck with 75.5 bore

i thought P2W was pretty much a little extra over bore

now he is the professional but im scared and confused now let me know what the deal is with P2W

also how much does your machine shop usually charge for a bore, hone, and port and polish

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
i thought P2W was pretty much a little extra over bore
Right, meaning the the bore of the cylinder is slightly larger than the piston. Hence why he needs the piston. He's going to bore the cylinder out to have a specific Piston2Wall distances as it applies to the piston.

He can easily remove materialy from the cylinder he can't add material to the piston...

·
Registered
Integra
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
so as long as he has my piston im good? it just seemed like he was just going to stay right at 75.5mm with no give... idk thats why this process is in a professionals hands

·
Registered
97 civic lx
967 Posts
P2w clearance allows for heat expansion. As an engine runs, its parts expand with heat. If it was exactly at 75.5, if the piston even moved, by the time it heated up the piston would be in contact with the wall. That wouldn't be good.

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
Did you tell him what you wanted for a piston to wall clearance? If not, then he may just set it to factory Honda specs witch are pretty tight.

·
Registered
Integra
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i told him i wanted .003" for piston to wall and he wrote it down...

idk they do specialize in automotive machining sooooo... i guess we will see how this goes... i feel confident

i tried explaining to him what i thought and he kept confusing me when he tried to explain p2w it in his words... hes an old timer

ill let you guys know when its back

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
What kind of machining do they do if it's not automotive? Regardless, if you asked for a .003 P2W clearance that's what you should get. Take pics of the hone work before you install everything together.

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
If you dropped off the piston and block and said "I want .003 piston to wall clearance" then everything should be fine.

·
Registered
Integra
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What kind of machining do they do if it's not automotive? Regardless, if you asked for a .003 P2W clearance that's what you should get. Take pics of the hone work before you install everything together.
Will do...

im also interested in what you guys pay for work like this i feel like i got a deal but i may be wrong

·
Registered
Integra
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nice i think i did get a pretty decent deal(unless my p2w ends up F#$#) i got for 150$ Bore, Hone, and Polish. then hes checking my guides and valves out

·
Registered
97 civic lx
967 Posts
Its $10 a cylinder here. So a bore is $40. And last time I had my head decked for flatness it was $15. When I took. 040 off to do my first high comp build it was $50. So all in all, I could walk away with a fresh head and block for $150. But im also in a small town in Arkansas. Carquest does all of my machining.

·
Registered
94 civic hatch
337 Posts
Whats he polishing? Are you going to notch the block yourself? Are you haveing the block decked for flatness?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Why did you only give him one piston? You do know they all ARE NOT the same size right?

·
Registered
Duramax
29 Posts
Damn!!! i didnt know that. Even new ones. ..... Oh well. At least one of my cylinders has .004..... Cheap vitara build anyways.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
2009 Civic Si Sedan
522 Posts
84 bucks to have each cylinder bored for a certain piston. They should also ask you info on your plans for the motor, like fuel, boost/na, horsepower range, race/dd.

·
Registered
97 civic lx
967 Posts
Damn!!! i didnt know that. Even new ones. ..... Oh well. At least one of my cylinders has .004..... Cheap vitara build anyways.
cheap vitara build? lol. you DO realize that vitaras hold up better than most of the aftermarket forged pistons right? the forged pistons have problems with the ring lands and valve reliefs. theres builds out there running vitaras that are holding 600whp. W-H-P... that doesnt sound cheap to me.

plus, honestly, if your going to spend the money, weather its cheap or not, you should have it done right. otherwise all the money you put in to it is worthless.

·
Registered
Integra
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Whats he polishing? Are you going to notch the block yourself? Are you haveing the block decked for flatness?
Polishing as I a nice clean up.

I might notch my self. I need to know more about this

He pretty much did a check on everything and he didn't recommend

·
Registered
Integra
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
1 - 20 of 23 Posts