Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was just going to put a d16y8 head on my y7 block and call it a day but my dad said why dont you just bring it to a machine shop so they can build it... my question is what exactly should i ask the machine shop to do this will be a daily driver with intake header and exhaust thts all so a couple hp from bringing it to the shop would make me happy... thank you for the help everyone

·
Registered
1996 Honda Accord LX
328 Posts
You really dont need the machine shop to do anything if the head is in good condition.

They aren't going to do anything significant to the head.. If you gain power it'd be from them milling the surface and you getting increase compression.
Regular machine shops will just make sure mating surfaces are flat, the valve seats have the right angles and your valve guides are true and the right size..
They will only touch up what is needed to make it a usable head again, or what you ask from them to check and replace..

If you go to a speedy shop or the like that work on performance cars, this is where the gains are for "building" a head.

Speedy shops, will replace components like the camshaft with aftermarket, they will offer port and polishing services.. but this type of machine service for your head is QUITE expensive. This is the only type of machine shop that will make a head significantly better then stock though.

So if you have a deep pocket, sure build your head.. For N/A all the power is in the head anyways :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just want them to check it and make sure everything is good and also maybe do a port and polish

·
Registered
1996 Honda Accord LX
328 Posts
If you dont know if the head is good, you can have them check it out and they will tell you.

Mainly got to check the surfaces are flat.
Do this with a straight edge and some shims.

Then you check the valves , guides and seats.
Check the valves by visually looking for any cracks and looking at the sealing surfaces, then use a micrometer to measure the stem diameters, after that put them in v-block and with an indicator measure any run-out to see if they are bent.

To check the guides you can use gage pins to see what size they are.

The valve seats is mostly a visual thing.. Make sure the seats have no knicks or gouges and the 45` angle is the right width.. You can accurately measure by going to lap them in to make sure you're getting coloring all the way around the angles on the valve and seat. Then once you know the valves are seating properly with your valve seats, you can put the valve on a optical comparator and measure.

If you're not going to get a camshaft, I really wouldn't bother with a port and polish, but maybe thats just me.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
The only thing I'd have the shop do is inspect the head surface...and if needed, mill it. Then of course a 3-angle valve job and have them lap your valves. Hot tank for aluminum, and then assemble it yourself. Done!

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,664 Posts
I'd say it depends on how much you know about the head's history. If you've been running the head already and it's running ok then maybe a surface check is ok. But if you bought it off some kid from a forum or eBay then I recommend having the shop do a full check up on it as described ^^^.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts