Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just got my engine block back from the machine shop and I take it home to look at the deck and see this AFTER I paid for it to get decked.

I called and he said "If (Insert shop worker here) says it's ok then it's fine."

I don't know what the hell that entials, but im pretty upset. I had this done specifically so I didn't get head gasket problems. I plan on running 400 WHP on Wisecos

Tell me what you think and what you would do.

DG Machine in Auburn, Washington.

Thanks

· Registered
teal ej1
61 Posts
Personally, I would call up and say this is not what I paid for. I pated for a nice machine surface. I don't care what (shop workers name) says. Even if it "will work", its not what I paid for. But that's just me. I hope everything works out

· Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn it. The drive is a ways and gas is a bitch!

I hate when people don't do what they say.

Every Machine shop in washington is a POS so far.

PED Machine, charges 250$ just for a bore and hone. (Wtf?)
DG Machine does it, but then Fucks it up.

· Formally D_Tuned
97 civic HX
4,470 Posts
Look on the bright side, I took a block in for a bore and they apparently cut #1 wrong then very badly tried to cover their tracks by re-sleeving that cylinder.

Most people would say who cares, well I cared since less than 100 miles on the engine and the sleeve starts trying to beat itself out of the block. With the head off it literally slid out on its own when I turned the crank. I took it to the machine shop and they tried to tell me it was because I overheated the engine. (laptop was connected over the entire engines life and it never got hot.)

Moral of my story, don't trust a machine shop just because it worked out for a buddy of yours. I've come to learn most of them will fuck you over without a care in the world.

· Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Because it was a dim lit garage and I live in Washington where it is dark as shit from the rain. Didn't see it till home in the light.

Frodo, I asked what you thought of the deck not why I didn't check it, lol....

Would you use it or take it back? Asking for opinions here.

· Registered
97 EK HATCH
938 Posts
I honestly think it will be fine but it sucks that they dnt do top notch work for the price you paid. I would ask for a percentage off. I would be pissed the f$;k off though. How much did they charge if you don't mind me asking. I just paid 680 two days ago for
Balance crank
Balance clutch
Balance flywheel
Bore
Hone
Deck
Micro polish crankshaft
Hot tank block
Notch block
Shave graddle
Came out tittays all the bitching and shaving was cnc took 3 hrs to notch and mock that alone costed 250 :( but it's done so f it.

XxTACTIKZxX

· Registered
1,860 Posts
Yeah no shit and Idk how much they took off. I don't want my pistons sticking out the top. :( I got 8.5:1 because I wanted 8.5:1

Now what is my compression ratio....
All you need to do is ask and they will tell you how much material was removed.

Also, the head gasket does all of its best crush right around the bores (around the darker area) then the only other place it forms a real seal is at the oil drain back holes and the oil jet location.

the ones over by the headbolt hole I wouldn't sweat at all. The only ones that worry me at all are the ones on the top of the bore.

Can you hook the marks on the top cylinder bore with your nail? Also, the opposite... if you run a straight edge past them does it get hung up on any of them?

If you answer no to both of those then run it. :rockon:

· Registered
Toyota AE82
350 Posts
By the looks of the pictures you can see it is not a surface scratch, they go in :(
Use a good tried and tested head gasket "glue" I have always been using "Spanjaard copper gasket sealer"
I am sure there are other good stuff out there also.

Always triple check engineering done by someone

· Registered
1971 VW Super Beetle
2,805 Posts
I messed up my deck surface similarly recently. They only had to take .003in off to fix her up. Not enough to vastly affect your compression ratio.

· Registered
duh
1,494 Posts
I've seen worse work fine on a turbo 22RE yota.

· Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went back there.

Took it back in order for them to "look at it" and I open the back and before I can even orient it in the right way he said , "Well if I can't see it from here, it's obviously not that bad." I said, "Hold on now.."

Him - "Oh no that's not that bad"

Me - "Well I plan to turbo-charge it and I really would like a have it flat, just to make sure I don't have any head-gasket issues."

Him - "Do you have your head-gasket with you"

Me - "No I don't"

Him - "Well if you did have it with you, you could see it only seals here around the Iron bit"

Me - "Ok"

*Some guy walk out from the back with a hand file, and HAND FILES my deck on the scratches and then mutters "No..." and walks away, meanwhile I am like WTF"

Him - "Well it's not that bad, you'll be fine, probably just got scratched on the hand truck putting it next door, don't worry about it"

Me- "Well you know, I brought it in here pretty flat and it wasn't scuffed. I brought it in just to get a new clean surface to make sure it was flat, and now it is less flat than when I brought it in. I paid for the service and I just want what I payed for."

Him - "Ok, I'll have the guys mill it again."

Me - "Thanks"

Me Again - "Quick question, you never told me how much it was decked last time, and how much it will probably be next time. I just want to know because I need to know how far down it's been."

Him - "Well I don't have a crystal ball to look into so I really can't tell you"

Me - "Ok, well could you ask the man running the milling machine how much he usually takes off for a resurface and how much he plans to do next time"

Him - *walks back* "They said 4-5 thousandths last time and a couple this time."

Me - "Alright thank you!"

I came back in 30 min to pick it up again, the right way.

All in all I am glad it was sorted out, but I am unhappy with the smart-ass tone I was receiving from the man. Maybe he thought I was too young to deserve his respect, either way, I get to put this thing together now.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.