Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
got a choice

1) garrett ar 42 t3 turbo off a nissan (from what im told)

2) ebay special m12 turbo (believe its one of those ebay 50 ''trims'')

i know the garrett would be more reliable, both gotten from a very reputable shop. I just cant find real answers on the forums with these to side by side

which would make more power and why (going on a d16y7 with blue top 450cc injectors and y8 intake manifold 3inch downpipe to 2.5 inch after resonator on midpipe)?

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
from what i seeing the garrett 42s are making 140-160whp on the y7, quick spool is obviously for daily driving and having the power right there with no lag.

ebay 50s from what ive read are making anywhere from 180-240whp on the y7, spools around 3k full by 5k and pull around to the redline from what it says.

ebay 50 has much more top end where the garrett 42 is pretty much dead by 6k and out of breath by the readline.

i do a lot of highway driving so quick spool isnt a worry plus i feel like later spool/bigger turbo would mean i get better economy if im not always in boost right?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,050 Posts
would be more helpful if you have both turbine and compressor specs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not really sure what the specs are bought them off the mechanic at the shop he just took them off a couple cars he had and sold them to me.

Uploaded photos if that helps.

I think the ebay one is comp; trim= 55 / ar= .50 and turbine; trim=73/ ar= .63

with the garrett i have no clue im trying to find more info on it, hoping someone on here might have used one

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,050 Posts
my garrett says .42 on one side, and the other says .48. if theyre in your hand, look em over for any markings. or take a pic and upload it

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had experience with both. The Garrett will make around 240 HP maxed out and it won't stay alive that long at that power level. I think I had it pushing around 15-18 psi but it would drop off by redline. This is actually on an LS though but I ran the turbo on a single cam before I switched over and it wasn't too much different. I never got to dyno the single cam but car ran the same times at the track. The m12 makes around 300 @20 psi but when I tried to run more than 23 psi it started to surge. Of course the Garrett is more responsive but reliability wise I never had too many issues with the m12. When I took it off the compressor housing had oil on it but it didn't smoke and still produced boost fine. I worked with maybe three different cars on that turbo and none had any failures. So for 200 HP I vote Garrett and anything more go eBay special.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had experience with both. The Garrett will make around 240 HP maxed out and it won't stay alive that long at that power level. I think I had it pushing around 15-18 psi but it would drop off by redline. This is actually on an LS though but I ran the turbo on a single cam before I switched over and it wasn't too much different. I never got to dyno the single cam but car ran the same times at the track. The m12 makes around 300 @20 psi but when I tried to run more than 23 psi it started to surge. Of course the Garrett is more responsive but reliability wise I never had too many issues with the m12. When I took it off the compressor housing had oil on it but it didn't smoke and still produced boost fine. I worked with maybe three different cars on that turbo and none had any failures. So for 200 HP I vote Garrett and anything more go eBay special.
thanks for the response! so i was cleaning off the turbo and noticed it did have something written on the turbine.

The turbo is a Garrett T3 ar .42/.63
compressor .42 turbine .63
im pretty sure its not a ''super 60'' though but it might be? im not a turbo expert,
Goal with the turbo is to make the most amount of usable hp mostly for highway pulls

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put it on and run it.

If you run into any problems, figure out what it is and fix it.
not about the ''problems'' I pretty much just wanted to see if this turbo would work nice with a d16 at the later part of the powerband unlike the ar42 48 (havent heard anything about ar42/63 's on a d16 motor), its just that to get it tuned then the turbo not working the way id like like to and having to change it out and get it retuned would be a huge amount of money lost for no reason (could use it somewhere else).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im just hoping that it will out perform the ebay 50 trim i know for sure that it should outlast it so i guess ill have to put it on the dyno after the snow melts and find out for myself

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yah it was thinking the same thing garrett is pretty small seen people running over 9-10 psi on them and its better to be safe then sorry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts