Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Same
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've run into a problem I've never experienced before. Got a completely new set of lug nuts from Discount Tire to replace the old/rusty/worn ones I've had forever. On one wheel (front driver) they threaded on fine and smooth by hand. I tightened them down to only about 40ish ft/lbs and then for whatever reason I needed to remove them. All four rotated about half a turn and then seized, hard. Impact wrench won't even budge them.

They were definitely not cross threaded as they spun on by hand all the way to hand tight. They weren't overtorqued as I didn't even put any shoulder into them. Has anyone come across this problem before? If I can ever get the wheel off in one piece I'm definitely going to buy only factory lug nuts from now on, but I can't even factor how this is happening. :wacko:

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
God hates you for touching yourself...inappropriately. Seriously though, that is odd, like the lug nut equivalent of the Chinese finger trap or something. Do they move if you tighten them a little bit?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Were your threads dirty when you screwed them on finger tight?

The fact it happened to all 4 makes me think it has something to do with the thread inside your nuts.. Heat help to loosen them?

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
987 Posts
Did you make sure to properly seat the new studs before putting the wheel on?

·
Registered
Same
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Were your threads dirty when you screwed them on finger tight?

The fact it happened to all 4 makes me think it has something to do with the thread inside your nuts.. Heat help to loosen them?
The studs were all clean and in good shape (after slightly stripping one stud on another wheel I took a die to all the studs to make sure they were good to go.

Did you make sure to properly seat the new studs before putting the wheel on?
They weren't new studs, still stock. Only the lug nuts were new.

Talked with DT and they "promised" me they were chromoly steel nuts, so if they aren't full of shit I'm back to square one. :pinch:

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Spray with penetrating oil and let sit. Tighten then try to loosen. If you cant get them off then the only thing you can do is get a breaker bar with a pipe extension and try to force them off. If they shear your lug studs you may be able to replace them without taking the hub off, but youll have to search how to do that.

·
Registered
ej8
104 Posts
Hi i think i now what happened. Honda factory lug nuts have ball end, you bought with taper end, and when you tightening the nut the cone end compressing the threads and moving the threads against the stud. So the thread on a lug became different after tightening, thats why it stuck

·
Registered
Same
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope, paid specific attention to get ball seat nuts.

I'll try the penetrating lube idea. It's that or cut them off. I've already purchased another wheel in anticipation this isn't going to end well. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts