Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a couple of years ago, I had the tranny in my old eg go bad. when it was on its last leg i put some lucas oil stabilzer in it to shut it up. it made a huge difference for about 3 weeks, then i finally lost 3rd gear, new tranny time.

but that was then, now im running syncromesh (gm) in my tranny, doing fine. my question: is it a good idea to put some lucas in with my syncro. to aid in protection, or is it a bad idea.

any comments on tranny fluids are welcome, i know theres a running debate on proper fluids.

PS. the tranny is d15b7 95 sedan if it makes any diff. :grin:

B

·
0 Posts
d-dog said:
i put some lucas oil stabilzer in it to shut it up. it made a huge difference for about 3 weeks, then i finally lost 3rd gear, new tranny time.
Read this comparison of Lucas to a special blend/oil microbrew.
bob's test The website is the largest community of automotive fluid comparison you will ever find, everything from coolant to motorcycle transmission oil is discussed/ argued over/ and tested.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
what about honda's manual tranny fluid?

B

·
0 Posts
If your trans is in great shape then Honda MTF is the best, if it's a little sloppy then the synchromesh is great too. There is some Honda Rally racer that swears on
Type-F automatic fluid with 3oz of Moly additive.... but that is that guy.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
something tells me that mixing synchomesh with the honda stuff is probably a bad idea...but i'm not 100% on that...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good idea... I thought so.
one of my friends, a mustang driver, says a trick among mustangers is to add a little syncromesh to their atf ! sounds stupid doesnt it. but that gave me the idea. I just want the best for my tranny until i can afford a eg ex tranny. thanks for the input bone.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I use 25% climbing lube(red and white bottle with checkers-not lucas-don't remember the brand) along with regular synthetic motor oil. Seems to work great and doesn't foam. The climbing gear lube seems to help the spider gears from seizing, I've had several honda's and my 1st one the spider gears were seizing to the diff pin when I took it apart to install a SI final drive. I changed the diff and ran climbing lube and haven't had problems since then in 2 cars both turbocharged. The pin/spider gears are still weak and a LSD is the real solution as transzex said earlier, but it at least keeps the tranny together longer. I wouldn't run it in my engine, but I don't think the tranny spins fast enough to foam the oil. I wish bobs test would do a wear test with the different oils, the lucas may be better even if it foams because it sticks to everything.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I relize that fluid usage is a running debate, but I just wanna be educated on my options and what works best from other peoples experiences. I want you all to know how much I appreciate your help and input on this subject. so, what else is out there?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
ok, is there anyone as abusive on 92-95 trannys as me? Really if your are please explain.

Honda MTL
5w30 motor oil
Pennzoil Synchomesh

Honestly on a good tranny, never noticed a difference between the three,

When cold the 5w30 OWNS, no issues getting into gear. The Kaaz LSD LOVES the Synchromesh, no more clutch pack chatter, but is it just my clutch pack at 50k miles is worn out? Still has WOT throttle apex push so it is locking up.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
transzex said:
ok, is there anyone as abusive on 92-95 trannys as me? Really if your are please explain.

Honda MTL
5w30 motor oil
Pennzoil Synchomesh

Honestly on a good tranny, never noticed a difference between the three,

When cold the 5w30 OWNS, no issues getting into gear. The Kaaz LSD LOVES the Synchromesh, no more clutch pack chatter, but is it just my clutch pack at 50k miles is worn out? Still has WOT throttle apex push so it is locking up.
Have you had a chance to try 5w20 yet? I've seen it also on the shelves.

Also, one of my friends who just did a rebuild put in some wierd wierd fluid... he showed it to me, it was green and super thick. Took like 30 seconds to come out of inverted bottle. I think it was made by redline. Ever heard of it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts