Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far would you guys go boosted with new stock pistons and shotpeened stock rods. I'll be doing a stock gsr intake and head with a b18a1 bottom end using a t3 super 60 (idk the specifics, a friends givin it to me) with properly sized bearings, arp rod bolts/headstuds and fresh machine work. it's gonna be a daily driver in a da with a ys1 b16(i hope lol) trans and my power goals are around 240-280hp. I've read a lot of numbers thrown around for it and wanna see what you guys think.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
your set up will be perfectly fine. you dont need the shotpeen the rods at all, they are already done from the factory.

run whatever you want, for the power that you are looking for the motor isnt even going to try hard at all. im more of less glad to see that you are going to be using ARP rod bolts since the factory ones are the weak link in a ls/v.

my buddy did 290whp on 10 psi with a SC61E turbo, it didnt even try break a sweat.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
hell he didnt even rev it to 8K either. he was a paranoid asshole who only would rev it to 7.5K... but i do understand, thats the highest i would rev a stock block ls/v

·
Registered
841 Posts
youll def reach your power goal..if you do plan on goin higher with hp youll def wanna consider upgrading pistons like said and the rods will be fine for sure..ls motors are boost friendly..but they can only take so much on a stock bottom end..and your gonna get a quick spool out of the t3 super 60 and that turbo will have no prob at all reaching your limit..you got your self a nice setup for sure..if its your daily i wouldnt consider beating the balls off it every day tho since youll be on a stock bottom end..good tune is the key to every thing

PS: IMO try and find a GSR tranny..you prolly wont be happy with the short ratio of the b16 with the motor/setup you got..

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
5,468 Posts
250whp is kittens play on LS block.

My buddy ran 385whp on a stock block for 3 years and DD it.........He all so had a respected "tuner" tune his car correctly.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
yeah my friend did around 380whp on a stock LS motor for about 7 years, being a DD and a track car. it was only suppose to be a "for now" motor too.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i can get pistons but if i do i might as well get rods. i dont think i'll want much more but i havent had boost yet. i hear its addictive. id also love to rev the bag off it. i'll likly only have b16a cams and not even the stock gsr cams :( so it wont likly make any more power past 8200 anyways. id really like to hit the 9k mark but i just dont wanna wait that long to get a motor goin. i can always rebuild it bigger and better later.

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
5,468 Posts
Seriously if your engine is in good shape and your only looking to make 250-80whp this is an easy number to achieve and a stock B-block can handle that.

That will be conservative to say the least, your set-up N/A could make close 200whp in the right tuners hands..........280 is fuck all.

And theres no need to be trying to pull to 9000, you should be more worried about traction and a tune.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my ls/v w vortec supercharger held up fine in my Da w stock ls rods ...but the pistons dont hold up long at 15lbs....the ring lands just couldnt take it...so at the least i would invest in a good set of pistons and ARP rod bolts...i blew the ring lands off # 1 & #3...but if u plan to use OEM pistons i would get a REALLY good tune and be conservative with it...but in your power range you are looking for the setup you have posted should hold up just fine...goodluck

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
At your power goal, you will be fine; motor wise. Your worst enemy will be the trans. You will need a bigger tire, so you aren't going through the traps in 5th.

Since i just went back and read through it. If you are trying to rev it to 9k. You might not have a problem, but be careful with that high rpm. That also kills motors pretty quickly.

·
Registered
841 Posts
you got this in the bag..youll acheive what you want with out ny thing needed..you have every thing you need..but your prolly gonna want more later down the road haha

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
if you are trying to rev to 9k then you atleast need type r valve terrain and a big turbo.

just stock to 8K and a smaller turbo, you will have more midrange power and torque and a hell of a lot more fun.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts