Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an S40 with OBX LSD and an S20 with oem diff. The only reference I can find in my Civic service manual to the diff reads "remove diff" & says that the ring gear bolts are left-hand thread. So once I unbolt & open the tranny case is it really that simple, just pick up the diffs to remove them & set them back in to replace them? I.ve never rebuilt a trans so I'd like to know if it is possible to swap diffs without removing/ disturbing the gear stacks & shift forks?

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
Gearstacks have to come out and the ring gear has to be swapped over. Keep the S40, more parts a few more parts are still available for it. Use the S20 diff, scrap the OBX.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes the obx is junk. My brother had one, lasted 1 night at the track. Going to go with a nice one for this season.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just got my trans back together yesterday. I was very nervous to do it but it was very simple. Just take pictures. All you have to do is split the case and remove the main shaft and counter shaft then pull out the diff. The snap ring for the counter shaft, and lining up the shift for during reassembly are the only hard parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts