Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this transmission up, opened it up and metal chunks everywhere. a 10mm bolt found its way in. Took a few teeth out on the main gears. I replaced them. and a rough bearing on the differential. All the other bearings felt fine. I went through everything else and cleaned it all up. Got to drive it for the first time today and it whines like crazy after 1st gear. no matter if I push the clutch in, shift gears, or slow down. the pitch stays constant but gets higher/louder the faster I go. all the gears shift smooth no problem at all. It only goes away once I stop.

any thoughts? I'm leaning towards the other diff bearing that I didn't replace. Since if it were one of the shaft bearings it would go away once I push the clutch in right? or are both shafts spinning while the differential is spinning?

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
New or used? Shim clearance? What did the balls look like on all of the bearings? Everything properly cleaned?

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
Gears should be new, not used unless you got the matching 1/2 countershaft gears. Mainshaft needs to be shimmed.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
God I would hate a b16 tranny with an LS in a street car.

I have a hydro b16 1-4th with a 4.266 final and I still feel like the gears are crazy close together for daily driving, even with my 9.2k limiter. I honestly think I would be happier with a good condition hydro LS tranny in my CRX.

But my car is pretty stripped, with a heavier car the shorter gears make more sense.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Yea, its not the highway stuff, I have an LS 5th, but when I am just casually accelerating I row through the first 4 gears to cruise at 35-40 mph, it just kinda feels silly.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
That sounds like it is diff or countershaft related to me. The lack of change in noise between drive and coast also leads me to think that it is probably a bearing.

Probably wrong though.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
list all you did, with details.

BTW, "bad synchros" start at $500 in parts to fix on B's because to hurt the synchros you have to fuck up a bunch of other shit first.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
countershaft how?
How? Because the countershaft and differential are constantly meshed with each other and share a constant speed relationship.

The mainshaft speed changes with engine speed and that sound does not appear to do so.

Did you pull and inspect the clutch housing side CS roller bearing? There can easily be debris trapped in there if you did not do so.

BTW, "bad synchros" start at $500 in parts to fix on B's because to hurt the synchros you have to fuck up a bunch of other shit first.
Truth. Even so, that is a good price on an S4C ASSuming it isn't thoroughly trashed.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts