Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K so i am in the process of rebuilding my engine, just back to stock so i can sell it and start a new one. I then noticed an old ls vtec set-up just chillin in the corner, picked up a rod, and a light bulb went of in my head! So i looked up as much info as i can, and found that the ls rods and d16 rods are shockingly similar, except for the strength! THey are both 137mm long, and the only thing i need to do is mill the side of the big end to fit the crank? I just would like to know if anyone has done this sucessfully and shed some more info on me....thanks:bigok:

·
Registered
829 Posts
you will also need to install a bronze bushing on the small end of the rod since the b-series use 21mm wrist pin and the d series are 19

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you will also need to install a bronze bushing on the small end of the rod since the b-series use 21mm wrist pin and the d series are 19
OK so i just finished more reading, and i found that the vitaras are 21mm pins so i wouldnt need the special bushings from crower.com. BUt i was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the piston side.....If i get new oem stlye pistons, what would be the safe HP rating before the pistons give out. IM just lookin at the ls rods cause i want a little assurance the rods wont give under boost. BUt how do stock pistons hold?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm thinking of doing this aswelll and I asked my mechanic yesterday how much power the stock ls rods could hold he said about 400 hp. If thats what you were asking?

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
K so i am in the process of rebuilding my engine, just back to stock so i can sell it and start a new one. I then noticed an old ls vtec set-up just chillin in the corner, picked up a rod, and a light bulb went of in my head! So i looked up as much info as i can, and found that the ls rods and d16 rods are shockingly similar, except for the strength! THey are both 137mm long, and the only thing i need to do is mill the side of the big end to fit the crank? I just would like to know if anyone has done this sucessfully and shed some more info on me....thanks:bigok:
welcome to the internets

LS Rod Swap.... How To - HomemadeTurbo - DIY Turbo Forum

·
wheres my money man!!
11,333 Posts
Using LS Rods in a D series:

The crank ends of the LS rods and D series are same size around at 1.890" (48mm). The crank end bore width needs to be milled to match the D16 crank rod journals. Shave .022" off each side of the crank end of the rod.
The piston end bore needs to be bushed to match the D16 piston's smaller pin size. The pin on the LS pistons is 0.826" (21mm), the pin on the D16 pistons is 0.748" (19mm). You need the custom made aluminum-bronze bushing with a width of 0.786, ID. 0.748, OD. 0.827 +(over) three thousands due to the bushing will be pressed in the small-end of the LS rods, so the bushing won't come out of the hole. Crower sells these for around $40 a set.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i just got the rods back today from the shop, had .022 shaved of like stated by Sleepingciv... Im gunna go with hypereutectic stock pistons cause im not keepin this engine for long, and i only wanna run 220 to the wheels just as a fun little DD. I just have one more question???? which bearings? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I change my mind once more, came across some more $ so NOW..... im gunna do vitaras 75.5, ls rods.... but i still have the same question as to which bearings... Should i use the b series(oil holes match up perfect, but bearing is to wide) and machine the bearing(if possible) or use the d16 bearings, and the oil holes dont match up perfect. THIS is a DD so realiabilty is a must. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I change my mind once more, came across some more $ so NOW..... im gunna do vitaras 75.5, ls rods.... but i still have the same question as to which bearings... Should i use the b series(oil holes match up perfect, but bearing is to wide) and machine the bearing(if possible) or use the d16 bearings, and the oil holes dont match up perfect. THIS is a DD so realiabilty is a must. Thanks in advance.

D16 bearing. I picked up some machined ls rods last night and checked them with my alc d16 bearings and everything was ok

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
i put golden eagle ls rods in my d16z6 the only thing i did was notch the block and girdle for arps
so what ur trying to say is LS rods are a DIRECT swap into a z6? lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the help guys, put it in sometime next week, about to order bearings right now so ill keep u guys updated though the rebuild.

·
Registered
88 Posts
OK so i just finished more reading, and i found that the vitaras are 21mm pins so i wouldnt need the special bushings from crower.com. BUt i was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the piston side.....If i get new oem stlye pistons, what would be the safe HP rating before the pistons give out. IM just lookin at the ls rods cause i want a little assurance the rods wont give under boost. BUt how do stock pistons hold?
I too would like some confirmation that vitara's infact do have 21mm wrist pins

i put golden eagle ls rods in my d16z6 the only thing i did was notch the block and girdle for arps
I always thought no matter what d-series, that LS rods needed to be milled. this is new to me...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I too would like some confirmation that vitara's infact do have 21mm wrist pins

I always thought no matter what d-series, that LS rods needed to be milled. this is new to me...
well nvm that 21mm statement, theeee internet is deceiving at times. Anyways i checked the bearings and everything is ok, went with the d16 bearings, acl. However my mind might change once again, as i went to a compression calculator thing i found while searching. Honda D-Series Compression Calculator by ZealAutowerks

IT gave me a 7:6:1 with the vitaras, and the 137mm rods, and .01 milled of the head. This is to low i believe for a 250whp car as a DD....

My next question is can i use the d16z6 pistons, as they have a larger dish size than the y7, and i can get a closer CR to 9:1 ish. Will i run into any problems i just wanna make sure as ive never seen the pistons on a z6, and the internet is ify sometimes...Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
if your dropping LS rods in, you may aswell just use the vitara's & up the boost a bit more...
but i wanna sell this car and get a new one, so i dont wanna if i dont have to sort of speak, i just want a fun little dd for 2 months, then sell....

SO Can someone please help here, im about 90% sure that z6 pistons will fit in my y7. So far ive found p2w and p2d height are the same, as well as compression height. The only difference is the dish is at -10.1 opposed to -7.4. I wanna do this for lower compression as this will be my first time tune car.

Does everything sound good i wanna verify this with someone who has done it so i can be sure, like my valves will clear etc......thnks one more time guys.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts