Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Honda Ballade
580 Posts
http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/pistonnotes.htm

Using LS Rods in a D series:

The crank ends of the LS rods and D series are same size around at 1.890" (48mm). The crank end bore width needs to be milled to match the D16 crank rod journals. Shave .022" off each side of the crank end of the rod.
The piston end bore needs to be bushed to match the D16 piston's smaller pin size. The pin on the LS pistons is 0.826" (21mm), the pin on the D16 pistons is 0.748" (19mm). You need the custom made aluminum-bronze bushing with a width of 0.786, ID. 0.748, OD. 0.827 +(over) three thousands due to the bushing will be pressed in the small-end of the LS rods, so the bushing won't come out of the hole. Crower sells these for around $40 a set.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
ls rods for all motor and TT rods for boost nuff said.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
I had litte bit work to do on these rods, make a bushing for wrist pins, shave the upper end to fit under the piston and shave with precision bottom end.

I got the rods for cheap like 50$ and made the machining by myself (I'm machinist). I saved 200$ + shipping and good enough to handle more than 250whp if not more with arp rods bolts.

But if you have to pay a machine shop on them, not worth the troubles.

But you have to keep in mind that aftermarket rods are heavy, and on a n/a setup you want to have strong rods, but lighter as possible. LS are strong, and not heavy as tuner toys or others. TT are very strong to handle more than 600hp, I don't think much d-series setup will reach that, much of them are underneath the level of 400hp.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You can't buy the bushings anymore, but they will sell you the silicon bronze to have them made.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Sorry late reply.. I contacted them within the last month they said they would give me whatever I wanted...... and said yes to the bushings..

Quick question can you run aftermarket pistons with the LS rods??? I know they say you cant with the d rods because of floating type design?? Is there anything you can do to the LS rod since it need rebushed anyways???

·
Registered
90 CRX Mini-Me Turbo
464 Posts

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
"***YOU CANNOT USE/REUSE PISTONS THAT HAVE PINS THAT HAVE TO BE PRESSED IN***"

That means I can use aftermarket like srp??
If they are pressed out correctly, yes. It's not a 100% garantee of good job, but if you find somebody with right equipement and skills yes you can.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts